Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Emma, Emma, quite contrary...

I don't know if it's being in first grade, if it's just a phase, or if I'm just a lousy parent, but Emma has developed a real attitude of late. Could it be that she is coming to the realization that her mommy is not a dazzling genius who knows everything about everything? I was hoping she wouldn't find this out until she was like 30.

Anyway, we're going through a rough patch. Maybe it's just adjusting to the start of the school year or something. She's always been this incredibly sweet and compliant child - we didn't even really have terrible twos - but she's been so whiny and pouty all week. Nothing horrible, but a lot of contradicting me and arguing over every little thing. It's wearing on me.

Plus, it took her all of four days of school to get in a little trouble. She got put in time out in school today for talking. Emma had a real problem in kindergarten with talking in class when she wasn't supposed to. We had her pretty well back in line by the mid-year point. But I can see now that we (meaning her teacher and I) will have to keep on her. So I told her she couldn't play on the computer the rest of this week...and if she got another time out, no computer this weekend. She really loves playing games on the computer, so I think this got her attention. We'll see...

I don't want to make it sound like I've got a spoiled brat on my hands...she's still very sweet like 90% of the time. But that other 10% is testing my patience right now!

Anyway, here's a picture of my little angel...let's hope our week gets better!

8 comments:

Kim said...

Hope your week gets better..
Girls are like that.. but taking away what they like the best has always worked for me also..
Emma is soooo darling.. bet it is hard to do that..
Have a Great Week..
hugs..

Briana's Mom said...

Briana is already testing my patience at 2! She is sweet most of the time, but gosh does she have a strong will!

I can't imagine how Briana will be in school!

I think the computer being taken away will definitely get Emma's attention!

Jboo said...

I think it's first grade or at least that's what some other first grade Moms have told me and I must agree. Hope your week is improving. Take care!

Janet

Julia said...

LOVE the photo as always. I think "attitude" is just more noticeable when they're easy going and laid back most of the time. If she was 11, like my Lib, then I'd say it was tweeny stuff happening, which seems to be rearing it's ugly head in our house more and more too. Interesting times!

Super Mommy said...

Donna - you are describing Jade to a "t" - I think I have your child here!!

It must be a 1st grade/maturing thing! I too wish she'd waited a while before challenging me - but I guess that's part of growing up.

I have resorted to bribing Jade. If she behaves (no changing colors at school, talking back to me, doing her homework, etc) she would get an iPod for Christmas. It is working thus far!

Good luck - hope you get your angel back 100% soon!

missy said...

Hey Donna!

I teach first grade and I have had several moms tell me that their little ones have been acting out, too. I spoke with some other teachers about it and they said that it could be that perhaps first grade is a bit more academic, it could just be overwhelming and exhausting.

I am sure your sweetheart will be back to her happy self soon.

Hang in there!

C's Mom said...

Oh, mama, I feel for ya.

Into each life...I am already wondering how long it will take for my kiddo to outsass me.

Testing, testing.

Abby's Mom said...

You are a great MOM! I can so relate too cuz a certain little person in my house seems to think she is the boss these days.

Beautiful picture of Emma :)