Friday, June 23, 2006

The Backyardigans vs. Strawberry Shortcake


It's a mystery to me how kids decide which tv programs they like and which they don't. I've found that the children's programs Emma likes rarely coincide with the ones I do.

For example, I love The Backyardigans, but Emma has shown absolutely no interest in them. Everytime they come on, she wanders off or asks if we can watch something else. It pains me to admit that I've sat through a number of episodes of The Backyardigans while my daugher was napping or otherwise occupied. But, hey, it's not like I'm TAPING it or anything!

She, on the other hand, worships at the alter of Strawberry Shortcake, which drives me to the edge of insanity. The animation is horrible, the voice work is an abomination, the plots idiotic...none of this seems to phase Emma. She would watch Strawberry Shortcake's Adventures on Ice Cream Island (clearly the worst of the SS movies, and therefore her favorite) every night if I let her.

Other programs I liked but she never took a shine to include Bear in the Big Blue House, Veggie Tales and Madeline. Shows she likes that I could live without - BooBah, Frankin and Bob the Builder.

However, there are a few shows for which we share a common love...Calliou, Sagwa, Little Einsteins, come to mind. So I guess I shouldn't complain. But why can't she give The Backyardigans a chance? I know she could grow to love Unique, Tasha, Tyrone, Austin and Pablo as much as I do!

No comments: