Thursday, April 19, 2007

Emma's got SKILLS!

So in the past 24 hours, I've discovered that Emma has developed two new skills...one minor and one major.

After school yesterday, it was so nice out that I took Emma to the park for a little while. Of course, she headed straight for the swings. So I'm pushing her on the swing when I notice she is pumping herself! I have been trying to teach her how to pump on a swing since last summer, with no success. It seems so intuitive, but just try explaining to a child how to do it...it's HARD! I was so excited to see her pumping back and forth. Believe me, I've practically developed carpel tunnel from pushing that child for hours on the swings. She can finally help out a little!

Now for the major skill. Last night, I was reading a bedtime story to Emma when she stopped me and said "I know that word." I said "what is it?" and she answered "in" (which it was.) I asked her if she knew any other words in the book and she pointed out several other short words like "the", "I", and "get."

This morning at school, I asked her teacher if Emma had been working on reading and she said "Oh yeah, Emma's been reading for several weeks now!" I couldn't believe it! The teacher had Emma go pick out one of her school books and Emma sat down and read me the entire book without missing a word. I actually teared up a little...your child taking her first steps toward reading is so wonderful, especially when you love reading as much as I do.

One kind of funny thing...when Emma was reading to me, everytime she got to the word "you", she would say "not me, but YOU." Her teacher said Emma had been having some trouble with that word and the teacher would give her the hint "not me, but..." Her teacher assured me that eventually she would drop the "not me, but..." part! Funny!

Anyway, no photos of Emma's new skills...but I do have a picture of Emma when she was one...already into reading! It's always been one of my favorite pictures of her...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, of course! She's got beauty AND brains. Go Emma . . . Go Emma . . .

Julia said...

WOW! I think these are both major skills, I remember when my two learned how to "pump" on their own - oh the freedom it gives a mom at the playground! Learning to read on their own is HUGE. Congratulations Emma!!

Joannah said...

How exciting! The only thing I enjoyed about teaching first grade (way back when) was watching my students become readers. What a joy!

C's Mom said...

Awww...I love that picture.

Go, Ms. Emma!

kitchu said...

How awesome! I know you are filled with pride... way to go Emma!

Calico Sky said...

oh donna congratulations, your baby is reading!!!!

i love the baby picture of EMMA, how adorable :)
Did you blog during your adoption journey?