Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Pumpkin carving '07

We picked up two pumpkins a couple of weeks ago at the pumpkin patch and Emma really wanted to carve our pumpkins this year. In years past, we either just painted the pumpkins or stuck Mr. Potato Head things in to make a face. It had been years since I carved a pumpkin and it's amazing how the mind forgets what a mess it can be!

But since my little girl wanted the experience of carving a pumpkin, who am I to deny her? So last night I covered the dining room table with a plastic table cloth and we started carving. After finally sawing the top off, I let Emma see the splendor that is the inside of a pumpkin. Here was her reaction...


After a few minutes of watching me scoop out pumpkin slime, Emma decided she was more interested in seeing if Marie would faint again on Dancing with the Stars, and wandered into the living room. She did come back in to draw a face on the pumpkin, which I somehow managed to carve out. It was a mutual decision that we would use our Mr. Potato Head things on the second pumpkin. I think had we opted to carve that one too, I would have been up at midnight.

Anyway, here are the results of our labors...


It's not fabulous, but Emma was so excited when we lit the candle and put it in the carved pumpkin. I didn't check this morning, so I don't know if the squirrels devoured it overnight. But I guess it's the experience rather than the results.

3 comments:

RamblingMother said...

What a cute smile. You are building memories with the pumpkin carving.

Beverly

Kim said...

Love the pumpkin...
Great Job!!!!
Kim

Anonymous said...

I did not even go for trick pr treating but I wanted to go so unfair..