Sunday, March 11, 2007

Am I losing my mind?

Let me just start out by admitting...I am an addict. For the past five years, I'm been totally in the thralls of an addiction that just won't let go, no matter how hard I try to escape from its clutches. I know it's a demon that many of my fellow bloggers suffer from as well, so hopefully no one will be too judgemental. My addiction is...buying clothing for my daughter.

I think I can say without exaggeration that I am a brilliant children's clothes shopper. I don't know that I've ever paid full price for anything in five years. I scour the sale racks, go to consignment shops, look for special promotions, use coupons and spend hours on Ebay looking for adorable clothes for Emma. For what I spend, she always looks good. Emma's teacher once told me that Emma was the best-dressed child in her school. Yikes...what pressure!

Anyway, one thing I do is pick up a lot of stuff at end-of-the-season sales. For example, I started buying things for this summer at the end of last summer, when summer clothes are at bargain basement prices. So I have been buying Emma clothes for this summer essentially since last August. I just throw them into a big storage bin under her bed. Which leads to the "am I losing my mind" part of of this account...

It's starting to get warmer here (FINALLY!) so yesterday I decided to get out all her new summer clothes and start washing them. As I unpacked the clothes, I began to see that there is a slight chance I may have sort of lost track of what I have bought over the past nine months. Maybe I should let the pictures tell the story...

Here is a photo of two adorable French Toast polo shirts I bought Emma at an end-of-summer sale last fall for like $3 each. I love lime green and pink together (as you will soon see.)


After going through more of the clothes, I also found two really cute Children's Place polos I had bought on sale and with a coupon for an additional 30% off. I had no idea how much I really dug the whole the lime green/pink look...


Okay, it's always good to have a back-up, in case one of them gets stained...I can see that. Then I came across a purchase I made a month or so ago at a blow-out sale at the local Carter's outlet. I think I see a pattern developing here...


Okay, either I'm totally going senile, or I need to get more organized about my shopping. I mean, how many lime green and pink polos does a five-year-old girl need - even if she is the best-dressed kid in her class? Maybe I should start some kind of Excel spreadsheet for Emma's clothes, sorted by color, size or line. Or maybe...I NEED TO QUIT BUYING HER SO MANY FRIGGIN' CLOTHES!!!

But as I said before...it's an addiction and it's too darn much fun! One thing I do know...it's definitely going to be a pink and lime green summer for Emma.

Anyway, I did more yesterday than just marvel over my stupidity when it comes to apparel purchases. It was a lovely day, so Emma and I went to the park with our friends Kay and Jenna. Here's a cute pic of Emma and Jenna having fun together...


And here's a photo of Emma in a contemplative mood...


She's such a deep thinker, my girl!

7 comments:

Joannah said...

That's so funny! I like those sherbet colors, too. You found some amazing deals. I'm going to have to learn to shop like that!

Special K said...

Oooooh my favorite colors too! I love pink and green together.

I've been shopping like that too. I'm very thrifty and hate to pay full price.

TaiwanMommy said...

Awwwww (big fake sympathy) try it with THREE UNDER THREE!!! I'm trying to cough up some sympathy for your addiction, but the best I can do is ask when you're planning to be in Sacramento next, because we need to help you heal TOGETHER. Yes, indeedy, you should not have to endure this ALONE. Next weekend I'm going to the outlet mall. Oshgosh, Gymboree, Baby Gap, Carters kids, Limited II, they're all there. We should treat this together, buddy system. I'll help.

Val

Eliza2006 said...

I was literally laughing out loud at your purchases. I have the same problem. Eliza has a full wardrobe for this summer and next winter already. I shouldn't tempt you further, but I've been obsessed with shoes lately and this is the best site:
www.endless.com and if that weren't enough...this forum lists any good deal anyone finds on the www
http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10 Yes, I have a problem!

Tiffany

C's Mom said...

I am cracking up. I think that is hilarious and so something I would do.

Heather said...

You were just thinking ahead for summer photoshoots--Jenna can match or complement Emma (and maybe a few more friends too). :) I try not to look at the adorable clothes too much or I know I'd go nuts. What are your best places and pointers to shop on a budget?

Donna said...

Hi! I'm new to your blog but lovin' it! Emma is GORGEOUS!

If you look at our nursery, you'll see that we're a bit obsessed with lime green and pink too!

But we like to call it "frog green"

;)

(another) Donna
Our blog: Double Happiness!