Saturday, March 24, 2007

On ice

There are so many things that I've done over the past five years that I could never imagine doing when I was a carefree, single, childless person. Among them...eating fish sticks for dinner, sitting through entire episodes of Barney and the Teletubbies, and changing poopy diapers without even wrinkling my nose.

Close to the top of this list would be attending any theatrical production that ends with the words "...On Ice." But that's exactly what we did last night. Yes, Disney on Ice hit our city last night and we were among the 12,000 people witnessing this spectacle. We went with our friends Mary and Helen. Here are Emma and Helen just a few moments before the extravaganza began...


I'm joking about it, but it really wasn't that bad...I have sat through worse family events (Sesame Street Live comes to mind.) For one thing, our seats were on the floor in the second row! Now, had these been seats for Green Day, I would have been out of my mind. But even for Disney on Ice, it was pretty cool. Here's a picture I took...without even using the zoom on the camera. It kind of shows how close we were...


And of course, here was the highlight for Emma...


Nice shot of Prince Charming's bum, isn't it?

Don't ask me how we got these fantastic seats. I mean it, don't ask me. Okay, okay, I admit it...I subscribe to the Disney on Ice newsletter and was able to buy tickets a month before they went on sale. Can you believe what a total mom geek I am? Wait, it gets worse. I just bought advance tickets for HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ON ICE!!!! Good lord, can you imagine what that will be like? But Emma adores that movie (she has a poster of Troy on her wall.) It will be here in December, so this will be an early Christmas present for her.

But it still kind of amazes me...I was someone who was going to punk rock and techno concerts pre-Emma...it is astounding how much your life can change when you have a kid. I'm not complaining, although sometimes I miss some of things I used to be majorly into. But my life is so much more interesting now...even if I do have to sit through the occasional "On Ice" production.

4 comments:

C's Mom said...

Hmmm...I have 'Coldplay on Ice' skating through my mind!

It looks like Emma was a happy camper ...on ice.

Joannah said...

Too funny! I can't imagine doing those things, either. But you are giving Emma such wonderful experiences that she will always remember. You're a good mom!

Catherine said...

Too cute! I'm a HUGE Disney fan so have to admit to loving Disney on Ice. Glad you had such great seats! Emma must have been in her glory! Great mommy!!

kitchu said...

Mom geek or not, I'm glad you guys had fun! I second Connie... maybe a little Dave Matthews or Jamie Cullum on ice for me? At least until the baby comes home! Then again, the thought of such great bands/songwriters "on ice" really just ruins the whole idea of a concert, right?