Monday, March 05, 2007

Goooo Emma!

My parents got Emma a generous gift certificate from Build-a-Bear for her birthday. So this weekend, we headed to the mall to pick out some bears. Emma quickly chose the two bears she wanted and then it came time to select outfits for them. I naturally assumed she would want something princessy for her little bears, so I steered her to the Disney Princess outfits. Much to my surprise, she didn't want to get her bears princess outfits. Much to my dismay, this is what she wanted instead...


Excuse me...cheerleaders?! My daughter wants to be a cheerleader now? I had no idea she even knew what a cheerleader was. Has she been watching "Bring It On" while I take a shower or something? Last night, she actually wanted to demonstrate a cheer she made up. She essentially waved her arms around shouting "Give me a "E", give me a "M", give me a "M", give me an "A"...what's it spell...EMMA!" Of course, I clapped and said it was fantastic.

But cheerleading? Growing up, I was always the athlete, not the person cheering the athletes on. I was talking yesterday to a friend of mine and she says her 6-year-old daughter is suddenly fascinated by cheerleading too. She's approaching it with the attitude that it's a phase and her daughter will outgrow it. I guess that's the way to view it. Of course, if Emma ended up really wanting to be a cheerleader someday, I would totally support her. She's a girly-girl and that's part of what makes her so special. I have to keep reminding myself that...

5 comments:

Calico Sky said...

Oh, let's hope it is a phase! ;0

The picture is simply adorable!

Joannah said...

Didn't you know that's the progression? First they want to be a princess. Then they want to be a cheerleader. Then they want to be the prom queen! ;-)

Caroline said...

That is such a cute picture! I think I might give my own little cheer if Jordan would move beyond the Disney Princess stage (although with my luck it would be something worse). And I love the fact that Emma adores her cat!!!

TaiwanMommy said...

Cheerleaders are athletes, too, in their own way... right? :) At least she doesn't want to be a telemarketer or something! Quelle horror! :)

I stumbled upon you through Mary Mia, and really enjoyed your blog. Emma is a DOLL!

I have 3 girls under 3, the youngest two are adopted from Taiwan. We have LOTS of Build-A-Bear and Disney Princess stuff here too... and Kyra got Build-A-Bear teddybear cheerleader slippers (from Marshalls! $5.99) for Christmas. I think we're going to be looking at a few more years of this stuff, eh?

Nice to "meet" you!
Val

C's Mom said...

Now, now, those cheerleaders are athletic!

Hmmm...it does make one wonder what will come next ;0)