Tuesday, June 19, 2007

De-stress

First of all, thanks for all your posts and emails regarding my last blog entry. I'm relieved to report that the test I had on Monday was negative. I burst into tears when the doctor came in with the good news. I have to have another test in a couple of weeks, but I'm not as wigged out about that one. Even if it turns out to be something, it wouldn't have been as dire a situation as the one I was facing earlier this week. So enough about that...

The kitchen is coming along...I have a couple more doors to hang on it and then I'll be done. I feel like I could build a house after this!

The other big change in our lives is that Emma has started at a new school. We live in a large metropolitan area that unfortunately has one of the country's worst public school systems. The downside of living in an urban area, I guess. I have always loved living in the city, but knew I would be facing some major decisions when Emma went into kindergarten. I just can't believe that happened so fast!

Anyway, attending public school here was out of the question. I firmly believe in public education, but I'm not letting my child lag behind in a sub-par learning environment. So my choices were (1) joining the thousands who flee to the suburbs; (2) enrolling Emma in a private school or (3) enrolling her in one of the dozens of charter schools here. I didn't really want to move. She was accepted in a couple of private schools, but the financial aid fell short of what I could afford. So I turned to charter schools. There really was only one I was interested in...a French immersion school that has an outstanding academic reputation. She was accepted earlier this year and started summer school there this week.

The whole foreign language immersion thing is really interesting. I mean, these kids walk in and pretty much all the teachers speak is French. But after just two days of class, when I dropped Emma off this morning, she turned to me and said "Au revoir, Mami!" Can you believe it?! So my little girl is on her way to fluency in French.

Anyway, here's a photo I took of her this morning on the way to school...


Tomorrow we leave for a four-day vacation to St. Louis...I wanted to get in a short trip before I start the new job on Monday. À tout à l'heure!

9 comments:

Special K said...

Glad to hear the test came back with good news.

I'm with you on public school. My job has a residency requirement that holds me hostage living in the city. Our public school system is like one of those movies set in a gritty urban environment with metal detectors at the doors.
Uhmmmm ...no thank you. So I'll be paying for private school. Yuck!

The French school sounds amazing though. Very cool!

Global Girl said...

Thank goodness for the medical news! I still speak French- having a second language is great! Oh, and that is one well-dressed child :)

Christi and Abbey said...

Thrilled to hear your good news about the test and so happy that you and Emma have found a good school. I can't wait until there are more mandarin immersion schools...they are all too far away for us now.

Caroline said...

Glad to hear the good medical news. Wow! Emma and Jordan will both be in immersion programs. That is too cool! We went to an open house for rising Kindergarteners and the kids looked like deers in headlights with the teachers spouting to them in Mandarin. I'm glad to hear Emma had taken to it so well. Hoping we have the same experience in the fall.

C's Mom said...

Enjoy the vacay with your little French-speaker :0)

Glad you got good news.

kitchu said...

Tres bien! Sounds like a fantastic place to educate a child...

So glad your test came back negative for the thing you feared the most!

(For some reason I can't see the picture, it's just a little box with an x?)

Abby's Mom said...

Glad you got good news. Enjoy your vacation!

Calico Sky said...

Glad to hear that good news was in!

So pleased for Emma. I too like Krista will be paying for private school....

Eliza2006 said...

I'm so glad you are okay. I have been thinking about you non-stop. I thought there was something wrong with me a few weeks ago and went in for some tests. Everything was fine, but I really freaked myself out! Worry takes on a new meaning when you have a child!

Tiffany