Thursday, June 07, 2007

Dr. Mommy blows it

Well, Emma APPEARED to be well on the way to recovery from her weekend under-the-weather spell. She went to school on Monday and we went to swimming lessons...no big deal.

Tuesday morning about 9 am, I get a call from the school nurse telling me Emma was running a fever and wasn't feeling well. So I hopped in the car and went to get her. Although she was a bit lethargic, I wasn't overly worried. I was giving her Zyrtec for her allergies, which is what I assumed this was. Fast forward to Tuesday night...Emma pretty much coughed from the moment I put her to bed until we got up at 7. It was a sleepless night for both of us. Needless to say, at this point I thought this might be something more than allergies.

So yesterday morning, we got up early and went to walk-in hours at our pediatrician's office. The doctor looked at her ears, listened to her heart and lungs and then pronounced "Emma has pneumonia." CRICKEY!!! PNEUMONIA!!! How could I have missed that? I felt like the worst mother in the world.

He prescribed a Z-PAK antibiotic, which I have to say, is miraculous. Emma barely coughed last night. We're still home today because she's pretty tired. But hopefully she'll be fine by the weekend.

So for the first time in years, I feel like a stay-at-home mom. We've actually been having a nice time, despite Emma's condition. She's been resting and I've been reading and we've played together a lot. We made a trip to Target earlier today and I caved in and bought her a new Barbie (no doubt because of my guilt over misjudging the seriousness of her illness!)

Anyway, here's a picture of my sick little girl...still cute and cheerful, despite her mom's incompetence!

9 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

YIKES! I hope she feels better soon. Enjoy your time off!

Tiffany

kitchu said...

Poor little girl.. hope she's all better soon!

Abby's Mom said...

Poor baby. I hope she feels better soon. And don't beat your self up. These things happen.

Special K said...

Get well soon sweet little Emma...

And don't worry Mommy. I'm sure this happens to the best of 'em.

Sara said...

Poor thing! Feel better soon Emma and don't be so hard on yourself mom!

kitchu said...

Just wanted to thank you for your comment on my post from yesterday. I'm always humbled and overwhelmed by the on-line support.

And don't worry, it is just going to take a lot of time to work through the divorce, the loss of Gracen (cancelled first adoption) and my mom all within 8 months of each other... I know I'll get there, I'm just trying to embrace where I am fully so I don't make the mistake of shoving it down and carrying baggage into my next relationship, which will be the most important one of my life - as mom : o )

RamblingMother said...

Oh poor baby. Hope she feels better soon. Who'd a thunk it?

Beverly

Shelley said...

Oh poor baby! I'm glad to hear she's feeling a little better.

Donna - It happens to all of us. Don't be hard on yourself.

Calico Sky said...

poor emma, having had pneumonia 5 times let me say how awful it is!
rest her well!