Monday, June 04, 2007

Swimming lessons

Emma was still a bit under the weather today...she's still coughing a little and isn't eating a whole lot. But she went to school and we started swimming lessons right after school/work. She really wasn't looking forward to it...as a matter of fact, she burst into tears a few weeks ago when I told her I had signed her up for them. But she really needs to learn how to swim, not just splash around in the pool. So we're taking lessons every weeknight for the next two weeks. It's a major pain, but I figured she'll learn more taking them over a period of two weeks, rather than every Saturday over a period of two months.

So here's my girl trying to get psyched up for her first swimming lesson...


Fortunately, Emma's friend Jia is taking lessons with us, so I think that helps bolster Emma's courage a little. Here are the two girls picking up some last minute pointers from the instructors...


I was a little freaked because the lessons were being taught in the lap pool at the local swim complex...the pool is four feet deep everywhere and Emma is about seven inches shorter than that. But she climbed into the pool and hung onto the side like all the other kids...


I think what made things go smoothly was that Emma's teacher was a really cute lifeguard named Adam, who looked a lot like Emma's big celebrity crush...Zac Efron from the movie High School Musical. Emma was in heaven as Adam guided her around the pool...


Things didn't go totally swimmingly (ouch!) Emma wouldn't put her head under water, no matter how much cute Adam tried to persuade her. I think the main thing I want her to accomplish from these lessons is getting comfortable putting her head under water. Hopefully, that will happen sometime this week...I'll keep you posted!

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

That picture of Emma holding onto the side of the pool is adorable! It sounds like she's off to a great start even if she doesn't want to dunk her head yet. I remember starting lessons when I was about 3 or 4 and I wouldn't even get in the pool. I was a child who was slow to get comfortable with new things, but now I love to swim. I hope Emma will end up enjoying it, too! It must help to have a friend in the class to encourage her. The teacher is easy on the eyes, too! =)

C's Mom said...

Ms. Emma will get there. Looks at that smile when she's in the water...love it!

Calico Sky said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE picture 2 and 3 - definately frameable! lol
Sounds like a great goal!!

the pool looks might inviting!!!

kitchu said...

She looks pretty darn happy in the water- she'll be brave enough to go under eventually, took me a while too, but once I did it, I never wanted to come up except to breathe!