Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Somebody has a loose tooth...

...fortunately, it's not me (although I constantly have that dream where my teeth are falling out.) No, it's Emma, of course. For the past several months, she has asked me to wiggle various teeth to see if they're loose yet. Nearly all of her friends have lost baby teeth and she's dying to have one fall out too. Although I would tell her on occasion that maybe a tooth felt a little loose, I never really thought they were. Until this morning. She asked me to wiggle one her front teeth and it definitely is loose!

I'm actually a little sad...she's got such cute baby teeth and I can't believe her front permanent teeth are going to come in straight because she was such a thumbsucker during her infant and toddler years. My dentist has already told me braces are definitely in Emma's future.

Anyway, Emma is sooo excited. I'll post a pic when the blessed event actually occurs.

PS a friend of mine told me that the going rate for the tooth fairy now is $5...could that be possible?!

6 comments:

Kim said...

I give a couple dollars... $5.00 is way to high.. or it has really gone up...
How exciting..
Can't wait to see the hole in the mouth...
LOL

christina said...

Oh, maybe you can help me. My just turned three year old is a finger sucker, in fact, two -thumb and index finger. The pediatric dentist said that her front teeth were a little crooked and that we should consider having her stop by age four. How did you stop Emma from sucking her finger? You can write to me directly if you'd rather (does Blogger allow you to see my address since you are the host to this blog? If not write to me at cgwms2000@yahoo.com please)
Thanks!

RamblingMother said...

Losing teeth already? Oh My. Where does the time go?

Beverly

Donna said...

I give $1, a gold Sacajawea coin, and a letter from the Tooth Fairy that always ends with "Keep brushing and flossing." You may have a long time to scope out what the rate is among Emma's friends (kids do compare) because it often takes months for the loose tooth to come out. My five year old has had loose teeth since August and nothing has come out yet.

Unknown said...

I just went through this with my 5 yr old last week. Very bittersweet.

Our tooth fairy only left her a quarter and she was thrilled with that amount. I've gotten a lot of flak from friends and family, though, who said that the going rate is at least a dollar. But I figure-- until she complains, I think a quarter is fine. I do like the idea of the dollar coin and note. I'll have to remember that if I succumb to tooth fairy inflation.

Caroline said...

Wow - Jordan will be jealous. $5 seems awfully high - maybe for the first tooth but then back to change. Although I heard another parent tell me that the tooth fairy that visits their house gives books instead of $$. She told her daughter awhile before the first tooth that unlike Santa - there are many, many tooth fairies and that each one can choose to compensate you for a tooth differently - it helped end the comparisons with friends.