Thursday, April 24, 2008

My other sweet girl

It was raining really hard early last evening and Emma and I sat out on the screened-in porch watching it pour. Out cat Sami wandered out too and I snapped a picture of her...


Sami is a very sweet cat, but like many felines, she has what might charitably be called a few eccentricities.

For one thing, she has meowed like three times in the year we've had her. It's nice that she's so quiet, but it's a little strange that she never meows. I've often wondered if I "accidentally" stepped on her tail, if she'd meow then. But I'd (probably) never do that.

I've also only seen her cleaning herself like two times. She's very clean, but she apparently thinks it is none of our business when she's giving herself a bath. If you walk in and she's cleaning her face or something, she'll immediately stop and stare at you until you leave the room.

She is also obsessed with licking plastic bags. I mean OBSESSED! I think she's getting a chemical high from them or something. Her favorite is Target plastic bags, which you can imagine, we have in abundance. But lately, she has switched her allegiance to these cheapo Tuffie bathroom garbage bags I bought in a pinch. She loves those and will sit next to the trash can and lick them for hours. I think she likes them because they're blue too (yeah, I know cats are colorblind, but I still think that's a factor.)

She's also a cricket killer. We get crickets in our basement in the spring and summer and she goes down there, captures them and brings them upstairs to the kitchen so we can see what a great hunter she is. There are usually at least two or three dead crickets in the kitchen every morning.

Anyway, I could go on, but hearing people prattle on about their pets is a little boring. Despite all of her weirdness, we love our Sami and wouldn't trade her for any other (normal) cat!

2 comments:

park it said...

We have 2 cats - and I am amazed at the difference in their personalities G -loving sweet lap kitty - sleeps by me everynight - is a talker (I can carry on a whole conversation with him - me words - him meow (like duh)) - W - black cat - very cool kitty - crosses his legs when he lays down - loves me the best - but is too cool to let most people see that - follows me around and "helps" me do things - like when I sit on the floor to fix something - he is always right there...Love them bunches bunches bunches!

C's Mom said...

That's a crack up. My brood are collectively terrified of plastic bags. Just shake one and they are on the run for a hideout.