Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Defiant One

Now it's common knowledge that I happen to be the mother of the sweetest little girl on the entire planet. But that doesn't mean we don't have the occasional behavioral challenges. For example, we are going through a phase now where Emma pretty much argues with everything I say. Here is a typical exchange:

Mommy: Come on, Emma. You need to brush your teeth and get ready for bed.

Emma: In a minute

Mommy: No, now!

Mommy waits in the bathroom for obedient daughter to bend to her iron will. And waits and waits and waits.

Mommy: Emma, I mean it. Get in here now.

Emma: Just a minute

Mommy: (loudly this time) If I have to come in there, there's no story tonight.

No response

Mommy: EMMA!

Emma: OKAY...I'M COMING!

We do this nearly every night and it's wearing me out.

Tonight, after the inevitable struggle to get her ready for bed, she decided to do somersaults on the bed before I turned out the light. She did one and I applauded and said she could do one more. So she flipped over one more time and I said "Okay, that's enough." And she looked me right in the eye and somersaulted one more time and then started to do it AGAIN! I just flipped off the light and walked out of her room (I always like ending the evening on such a warm note!)

Blah! I know it's just a stage (please let it be a stage!) but it's really getting old.

Anyway, here's a photo of my great debater with her friend Kimmie. I took this at a splash park last weekend and I love this photo of them. It's hard to stay cross with someone so adorable!

9 comments:

Sheila said...

She is adorable! They do seem to go through a stage where they have selective hearing. Lol!

Kim said...

Got to love them...
It is funny how they do things just to get under our skin..
She has just begun...
HUGS.

kitchu said...

I've always said to people that I'm looking forward to the challenges of parenting. These kind of challenges? Maybe not so much :)

Adorable photo!

Briana's Mom said...

Ugh - I was so hoping that as they got older they would start to listen. Briana has selective hearing already! It's starting to sound like this is something I will be dealing with for a LONG time! LOL!

Donna said...

Hee hee... sounds like any given night at our house!

:)

Donna
Our blog: Double Happiness!

RamblingMother said...

Yea! I like the direct eye challenge. I get that often. How can you stay mad at the dimples anyway?

Super Mommy said...

Must be a post-Kindergarten thing,I get the same response from Jade!

Love the photo of Kimmie and Emma!

Abby's Mom said...

Oh Good times:) Great picture!

Lisa and Tate said...

What a naughty little cutie! I