Monday, November 24, 2008

The cardiac kid

Well, we had a little too much excitement at Emma's horseback riding lesson yesterday. After taking lessons for about 10 months, she got thrown from her horse for the first time. Back in February, she slid off her horse onto the ground while riding bareback, but the horse was barely moving. What happened yesterday was a whole different experience.

Her horse, Cinnamon, was a bit sluggish yesterday, probably because of the cold weather. But she just wasn't in the mood to trot. Emma had a crop and was using it, but Cinnamon would still slow to a walk whenever she thought she could get away with it. Emma's trainer, Sarah, went and got a whip...not to whip the horse, of course, but just to snap it to get her moving. It did the job pretty well for awhile, but then Cinnamon slowed to a walk again. Sarah walked a little closer to the horse and snapped the whip and apparently Cinnamon knew she meant business, because she bolted and started cantering at full speed.

Emma had never cantered before...the poor girl hung on as tight as she could while Sarah ran after them, but Emma eventually just flew off the horse and fell flat on her back on the ground.

I was screaming at this point. From where I was standing, I thought the horse had stepped on Emma. Sarah got to her first and picked her up. She was fine, although she had the wind knocked out of her. She wasn't crying - probably because she couldn't breathe. The older girls must have heard the commotion (aka me screaming) and ran in and chased Cinnamon down.

Anyway, Emma was fine and when we all got calmed down, she got back on Cinnamon and finished her lesson (no more cantering!) It was kind of sweet, because the older girls all made a big deal out of officially welcoming Emma to the club - because you're not an official cowgirl until you've been thrown from your horse.

Still, I would have been happy had she not become a member of that club for a little while longer. Hopefully she won't fall off again for a very long time...my heart just can't take it!

13 comments:

Kim said...

OMW...
I would have been scared to death..
But totally understand..
I am soooo proud of Emma for getting back up on her horse..
Hugs to you mommy..
Have a Great Week.
Happy Thanksgiving..

Missy said...

OMG!!! I would have FREAKED OUT! I am glad that Emma is doing alright. Bless her heart. Yes, that is a club that I could have done without, too!

Donna said...

I'm so glad Emma is OK. What a brave girl; I think at her age I would have declined to get back on the horse. Hopefully this won't happen again.

Donna said...

Yikes! What a scare! And what a brave girl to not let it keep her from getting back up there!

Donna

Sara said...

Holy moly! I've never been around horses before, so they kinda scare me! Thankfully everyone (including mom's heart) is A OK!

Special K said...

Glad to hear she's okay. Emma is certainly very brave to brush herself off and get back up there. Kudos to her for that. I'm not sure I could've done it.

Dawn said...

Hey, Donna. I've finally gotten into blogging. I know you from GF. I've got 2 girls from China as well. Your Emma is a doll, I can't wait to dive into your blog.

Dawn

pearlsfromtheriver.blogspot.com

Dawn said...

Oh my, I just read your post from today. I'm so glad Emma's okay. I bet it scared you to death. So good that she got back up there. What a trooper!

Super Mommy said...

How scarey Donna . . . . I am sooo glad Emma is okay. I like her spirit too - a true horsewoman - got right back on to ride!

Jboo said...

Oh my gosh -- my heart started beating faster just reading that! Whew -- am glad she's ok, but wow -- that must have been so scary!

Hope the rest of your week goes well and is not quite so exciting! Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Janet

RamblingMother said...

Gosh how scary! Glad she is better!!

Steph said...

I started reading your blog after finding your link on GF. I remember seeing Emma in EC in her siggy, and my daughter loved that line too. I think our girls have a lot in common. lol My daughter Hadleigh started lessons last October and also just fell for the first time off of her horse this month. She was jumping when she did it. As a mom, it was so terrifying to watch. I think it's great that they love it so much and had no problem getting back on and riding again. WTG Emma!

The teen girls at the stable also all congratulated Hadleigh on becoming a real horse rider now that she had her first fall. lol

Have you heard the song "Cowgirls Don't Cry" by Brooks and Dunn? I love that and it has such a great message and how falling down and getting back in the saddle is a good life lesson.

Julia said...

Oh my goodness, poor baby! I'm so glad she's okay, and I know exactly what you must have been going through, my heart would have nearly stopped!