Saturday, February 28, 2009

The best laid plans....

Today was supposed to be Emma's birthday celebration. I had reservations to take Emma and two of her friends to stay one night at the Great Wolf Lodge so they could play at the indoor water park there. But then this morning, we woke up to the biggest snowstorm of the winter here...nearly six inches! The snow was at its peak when we were supposed to head out to the hotel, which is about 15 miles from here. There were accidents everywhere and I did not want to take the chance, especially with such precious cargo. Fortunately, I was able to change our reservation to March 14th, so we still get to go. The girls were all disappointed, but took it in stride.

So we stayed pretty close to home most of the day. Eventually the snow stopped and I spent about a half-hour shoveling out the driveway, with my little helper...


After digging out, we made a run to the grocery store and I let Emma pick out any restaurant to eat dinner. As I feared, she chose the world's worst Chinese buffet, which is her very favorite place to eat. Tons of deep fried food that has sat under heat lamps for hours...what's not to love? Well, she was in heaven.

Now we're watching the Spiderwick Chronicles movie, which is Emma's current obsession...we have read all the of books and she wanted to see the movie. I find the movie really intense...but Emma says it doesn't scare her. Hopefully she won't have nightmares tonight!

8 comments:

Kim said...

Glad you got to change the reservations...
Can't believe you got all that snow..
Keep warm..
Hugs..

Super Mommy said...

Ugh - snow storms!! Sounds like you had a lovely day anyway. Did you eat any fried biscuits on the buffet?? ;0)

Lisa and Tate said...

Sorry the snow had to ruin your best laid plans. It sounded like it turned out to be a pretty good (sans the china grease buffet) seventh birthday. March 14 will be a riot too.

Jboo said...

What a great b-day plan -- sorry that snowstorm messed it up, but it will be even more fun in a couple weeks, I'm sure!! Hope that snow melts fast -- ours is supposed to start melting by Wednesday! Come on spring!! :)
Janet

RamblingMother said...

what a fun birthday even without the lodge. At least you could move the reservations.

Julia said...

So here I was going on and on about our 3" and you guys got walloped by twice that! I hate that it ruined your plans (and hate even worse that you ended up with dinner at the buffet - I know exactly the type you're talking about!!) I'm amazed she's into Spiderwick already! L didn't read that until 4th or 5th grade I think. Good for her!

Donna said...

Just when you think it's March and it's safe to make plans without worrying about snow ... I'm glad you were able to reschedule and jealous that you have a Great Wolf so close by

Anonymous said...

You're daughter is a real cutie! Glad you are going to get to go to GWL still.