Friday, March 06, 2009

The tutor

For the first time ever, Emma is struggling in school a little. She's doing well in all her subjects except one...reading, which admittedly is a big one. Part of it is that she goes to a French immersion school and is taught all day in French, with the exception of one hour of English reading every day. When we enrolled in the school, they told us that many parents panic because their children aren't reading well by the end of first grade and that almost everyone would catch up by second grade. And, of course, I am now panicking because Emma is not reading all that well in English (she actually reads better in French.)

I talked to her reading teacher and she said although she was sure Emma would catch up next year, if I was that concerned, she could recommend a reading tutor who works with a lot of the kids in our school. We met with the tutor last night and after evaluating her, she said Emma is obviously very bright, but that she was having some problems with long and short vowels and some consonant combinations. So we're going to start going twice a week and the tutor said Emma would almost certainly be reading at grade level by the time school starts next fall.

I'm sure some will think I'm overreacting. But I would rather be proactive and not take the chance of her falling further behind. I just want her to love reading so much.

On a more positive note, here is what Emma wore today...because it was 80 DEGREES OUT!


Of course, it's not going to stay that warm (I wish!) It's supposed to be about 60 tomorrow and rainy. But that's sure better than snowy and 20, which is what it was last Saturday!

11 comments:

Kim said...

You are making the right decison.. always go with what you think..
It doesn't hurt to know tooomuch..
Have a great weekend..
Emma is soooood darling..
Hugs..

Super Mommy said...

Better safe than sorry - I think getting her a tutor now will help her in the long run.

Great pic - hope you enjoyed the weather!

Briana's Mom said...

I am 100% for being proactive. I recently got Briana speech evaluated because I was a little worried and was told she was fine. I needed the piece of mind, and in case there was a problem, I wanted to be on top of it. Good luck to Emma on her reading!

Julia said...

Donna I can't emphasis enough that I think you are absolutely doing the right thing!! It's so much easier to help her when she's in 2nd grade vs some parents waiting too long and trying to help in 4th, 5th or a grade beyond that. I'm sure the tutor is right, she will be right back where she needs to be by fall. And by the way, I think it is just so cool that she is in a French school. How wonderful it will be to grow up fluent in another language. Do you speak French as well?

LOVE this photo of Miss Emma too, I can't believe it was so warm where you are, it was "only" 77 here today. :-)

Lisa and Tate said...

You are so right being proactive. If after a few sessions the tutor is not needed... Bon jour tutor. Oh how I hope I spelled my little bit of french right.

Lovin' the sunny warm weather attitude and clothes!

Joan said...

Thank you for posting this. I have been concerned for my daughter because she isn't reading English as well as I would like either. She is in a Chinese Immersion school and I never thought of hiring a tutor. I think that is a great idea. I don't care if she will catch up in second grade. She is showing a great interest in reading her books and I want to encourage that. So, thanks to you, we are going to look into a tutor too! :-)

Jboo said...

I'm right there with you and am going to see about a tutor for summer time. While M is doing fine with reading, I think she could use a bit of help. And especially over the summer when we all read less because there are so many other things to do. Good for you for being proactive! Wow - I can't believe it was so warm there, but we had 76 on Thursday, but about 36 yesterday! Have a good week!

Janet

RamblingMother said...

I see your concern but if she reads well in French, I wouldn't really worry too much. She is so cute. Get that girl a modeling contract.

Christi and Abbey said...

good for you with the tutoring! I wish I were close and could work with her, teaching first graders reading is what I love to do
And happy birthday Emma, can't believe you are big girl 7! Great Wolf Lodge sounds very fun

Donna said...

I think both the warm weather and the tutor are happy news. Good for you for being practive. I love the dress and the girl wearing it is adorable too.

Julie said...

We have the same problem. My son is in second grade and has had a reading tutor since the summer. It has helped enormously. My son also reads better in French as well.
The way I see it, our tutor is educated in helping children learn to read - I am not.

Good luck!!