Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring break '09

Well, we made it back from our brief spring break trip to Minneapolis. We hit the road Tuesday morning and made it to the Twin Cities in just under seven hours. The weather was surprisingly mild for March and we had such a great little vacation.

Wednesday was our American Girl day...we went to the Mall of America American Girl store. I let Emma pick out a doll...her second American Girl doll (she got Julie two Christmas's ago.) She said she wanted one of the Just Like Me dolls...so she chose a doll with long black hair. So meet the newest member of our family...Gwen!


After getting Gwen's ears pierced ($14!), we had lunch at the American Girl Bistro. It was quite lovely and they brought Emma a little bag with AG goodies because we were celebrating her birthday (a little late!)

I just have to inject here...I am pretty sensible about money, but something happens when we're on vacation...money suddenly has no meaning. I somehow felt it was necessary to spend $24 on a little backpack for Emma's new doll. I would never spend $24 on a backpack for Emma, but somehow spending $24 on a teeny tiny backpack for this 18" doll is not a problem! In my defense, the backpack did come with a teeny tiny cell phone and a teeny tiny three-ring binder and a teeny tiny day planner. So really, it was a bargain.

Anyway, after the American Girl doll experience, we wandered around the Mall of America for a little while and played a round of mini-golf at the course there. After playing one hole and shooting in double-digits, we wisely decided not to keep score and had a good time...


We did a bunch of other stuff while we were in Minneapolis...we went to the aquarium and the Nickelodeon theme park (Emma's first ride on a rollercoaster!)

We were so excited that we got to meet up with Julie and Tess one evening while in town. I've been reading Julie's blog for like five years - it was so fun to finally get to meet her and Tess in person. We tagged along with them when they were getting Tess' pictures taken. After awhile, the photographer asked if Tess wanted to take a few with her sister (Emma!) We thought that was hilarious, since the two girls had met for the first time like 5 minutes earlier. But Emma jumped in and the two girls had their picture taken together...


They were quite adorable, I have to say.

Anyway, that was our nice little spring break...we had such a fun time. At one point, Emma said "Mommy, this has been the best day of my life." That makes it all worth it!

14 comments:

Kim said...

Love the photos..
Sounds like you have had a great spring break..
Hugs..

Jboo said...

What a great vacation!! Hey - the same thing happens to me on vacation re spending money -- I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that! Great photos! Sounds like a really fun spring break!

Janet

Super Mommy said...

Awww - sounds perfect! My girls would LOVE to go to an AG store - we'd be in trouble for sure - I have NO control when it comes to these dolls and accessories!!

Tracy said...

What fun! Glad you enjoyed our town and the MOA! We love living here and Julie and Tess!

Lisa and Tate said...

How fun!!! It is a dream for me to take Tate to AG and do the whole experience.... No wonder you could get carried away with all the cuteness!

Seeing Julie and Tess!!! I just love hanging with them (4 times now). Like Tracy said, love MOA and Julie and Tess!

When you hear you Emma say "best day in her life" this has got to make the teeny tiny backpack worth every cent!

Lisa

Lisa and Tate said...

Oh, forgot to ask in my long comment.... Where did you get the monkey jacket??? I think Ms Tate will need one of those.

Missy said...

Glad you had such a nice spring break! The American Girl store sounds like Heaven : ) Such great pics!

Special K said...

Sometimes making really great memories are more important than being thrifty. To get genuine heartfelt comments like that from your daughter is worth every penny you spent. :)

Jboo said...

I forgot to ask . . . did Emma get her ears pierced too or just Gwen? Inquiring minds want to know! Have a great week!

Janet

elizabeth said...

The Twin Cities are a fun place to live and Julie and Tess are wonderful! Funny how the photographer thought the girls were sisters. Very cute picture of them together =)

Donna said...

How fun. I went to the AG store in Chicago when I was waiting for my Emma more than 10 years ago and even spent too much money then. I have absolutely no control in that store. I'm trying to get some discipline being going to the New York store in a few weeks. Pierced ears, huh?

C's Mom said...

What a great trip!

Heh, I bought clothes for my girl's AG doll in China. Mind you, she doesn't have an AG doll yet but she will.

Love the photos - I'm SO glad you got to meet up with J&T. What a treat!

Janelle Severson said...

Looks like a great trip! Which GWL did you go to? WI Dells?

I've been to the MOA so many times and I had no idea that they had mini golf there. Did you hit up the J&J?

Christi and Abbey said...

Love the top photo of Emma and her AG doll.
$24 backpack
Happy afternoon with your girl
Priceless!