Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My little Jane Austen fan

Over the weekend, Emma and I were surfing channels, trying to find something other than Animal Planet (her favorite channel) to watch, when we came upon the 2007 film of Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightly. Jane Austen is my very favorite author, so we watched a bit of the movie. I told Emma that my favorite film version of Pride and Prejudice was the BBC miniseries starring dreamy Colin Firth (although I told her it starred the guy who plays Harry in Mamma Mia - that's where she knows him from.) I have it on DVD, so she asked if we could watch it. Geez, it's like five hours long, but since we were snowed in over the weekend, I let her start watching it.

Well, to say that she absolutely loves it is an understatement! Over the past several days, we've watched all but the last hour of it. Every day when she gets home from school, she starts pestering me about "when can we watch more of Pride and Prejudice?" She also wanted me to show her the book - I got out all my Jane Austen novels and pointed out that one of them is entitled "Emma", which is one of the reasons I picked that name for her. She asked if I could read her some of the books sometime - HECK YES!

I didn't start swooning over Jane Austen until I was in college...I'm getting such a kick out of the fact that she's become a fan at such a young age.

9 comments:

Jboo said...

That is so sweet! I hate to admit it, but I haven't seen the movie and you're right - Colin Firth is dreamy! Will have to put it on my list of movies to rent. I can never think of any when I'm at the rental store. Thanks for tip!

Janet

Julia said...

Well Emma and I have that in common! I love Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma (the movie with Gwenyth Paltrow), and Much Ado About Nothing. I've never considered asking my girls if they want to watch with me... I mean Disney channel it's not. But now thanks to Emma I might give this a go.

Donna said...

What a cool kid. I named my Emma in honor of Jane Austen at least in part as well. I took the book Emma with me to reread on the trip to China; I quickly found out that my reading time was greatly diminished.

Special K said...

What a great story! I can't wait for moments like these with my daughter someday. :) Although she probably won't want to have anything to do with what I like since I just said that.... LOL!

Super Mommy said...

I love Jane Austen too! Emma has great taste!!

Donna said...

Wow! Who'da thunk? My MIL loves JA too and will be thrilled to know she might get to watch it with her grandkids someday soon. Grandpa won't watch it!

Donna
Our blog: Double Happiness!

Donna said...

oops.... also meant to mention that I've never read the books or seen any of the movies but my hubby was watching something JA last weekend! Maybe I'll check it out on Netflix.

:)

Donna
Our blog: Double Happiness!

Christi and Abbey said...

That is too cute! It's been forever since I've seen any Jane Austen. What a fun mother daughter experience.

RamblingMother said...

That is great. Get her addicted early to Jane Austen! I love the books too. She is so grown up and looks so cute in her Easter dress!