Thursday, July 26, 2007

Christmas in July

Before I got Emma, I was pretty much a wait-until-the-last-minute Christmas shopper. But that has changed in the past several years. Now, I usually start looking around for possible gift ideas and bargains as early as summer.

Yesterday, I bought Emma's first Christmas present for this year. It's a Disney Mix Max video/mp3 player. It's pretty small (the video screen is like 2.5 inches) but it plays movies and video and mp3 files. You can buy what are called Disney Mix Clips - movies and music that look like little memory sticks and just insert them in the player. But you can also download sound and video files from your computer.

The one I got Emma is the High School Musical Mix Max, with her favorite movie (HSM) included. This thing retails for $120, but I got it for less than $50 on Ebay. I think it will be a nice thing to have to entertain her on car and plane trips, when I don't want to drag a portable DVD player around.

I've already decided Emma's big present this year will be an American Girl doll. Part of me totally rebels at the idea of paying nearly $100 for a doll. But Emma has suddenly become doll-crazy and loved it when we went to a special American Girl doll exhibit at a local museum a few weeks ago. I also like the philosophy around American Girl, unlike Bratz or, even to a certain extent, Barbie. Emma likes the AG Kit doll, so I think that's what she'll be getting from Santa this year.

Anyway, it's nice to kind of get the Xmas shopping underway. Do you have your shopping done yet?!!

6 comments:

Abby's Mom said...

Very Cool!

Eliza2006 said...

Wait! Santa isn't real? Ahhh Christmas shopping. You see that cute little table and chair set on my blog? That was going to be a Christmas present. I'm really good at shopping early...and giving early.

Tiffany

Calico Sky said...

can you be my mommy??? you give good presents!!!!

Christi and Abbey said...

That's a great gift! I am hoping to shop this summer but so far it hasn't happened.

kitchu said...

I so look forward to the day I can celebrate holidays with Macey- hadn't really thought of it until reading this post!!


Great deal on the gift too, and every now and then, you just gotta spend the money on the one thing they really want!!

Caroline said...

I'm thinking an AG doll possibly this year too. Not sure which one. I saw they are coming out with a Chinese American one but she's from the 70's and that is a decade whose clothes I could do without! Maybe Kaya or Felicity. My $$ have gone to buying our first batch of school uniforms (sigh).