Sunday, July 22, 2007

One of the big talks...

Yesterday after running a few errands, Emma and I were eating lunch at our favorite local sub shop and without warning, our conversation took a philosophical turn:

Emma: Momma, when I'm a grown-up, will you be dead?

Me: (trying not to choke on Sun Chip) Well, I hope not. I'm a grown-up and my mom is still alive.

Emma: When you die, do you just float up in the sky?

Me: (now wishing I had bought book on how to talk to your child about death) Well, no one really knows. The only people who know that are dead and they can't tell us. I don't think our bodies float up in the sky, but I believe our spirit does.

Emma: What's a spirit?

Me: (starting to sweat a little) Well, it's what's inside of us and what makes us who we are.

Emma: Inside of us, like our brains?

Me: (I'm blowing this) No, more like our personalities and our thoughts and the people and things we love in life...that's our spirit. I think that's what goes to heaven.

Emma: Can I have one of your pickles?

End of conversation (thankfully) But I'm sure the topic will come up again, so I better do a little more reading on the subject. I'm a firm believer that you can learn everything there is about parenting in a book or magazine (I WISH!!!)

Anyway, other than discussing matters of life and death, it's been a pretty laid back weekend...we hit the pool yesterday and I took a picture of Emma and her friend Cassie.


Just trying to get revved up about the week ahead...it's a busy one for both of us!

4 comments:

Lisa and Tate said...

Tough questions!!! When you figure out where to find information via a book, please post for my reference. When I first started reading this blog entry, I thought it was going to be about "Where babies come from." That question just might be a little easier for me. Good luck when therer is more questions!!!

Lisa

Abby's Mom said...

You handled that well!

C's Mom said...

The fun begins. It's funny how we can be stopped in our tracks sometimes. They're already on to the pickles while we are seriously contemplating life and death.

Well done, mama!

Calico Sky said...

I better start taking notes about what to say!! lol
Adorable picture as always!!!