Thursday, January 17, 2008

My crazy girl...

While I know a number of families with adopted children have to deal with attachment issues, that has never been the problem with me and Emma. Quite the contrary...sometimes I worry that she's too attached. Even now, if I leave the room for more than a few minutes, I have to tell her where I'm going or she'll get a little freaked out. So it's always "I'm going downstairs to put in some laundry" or "I have to go get something from the car and I'll be right back" so she doesn't panic when I'm not there for a few minutes.

All this background will make you better understand today's story. Last night it snowed about three inches (groan!) So after I got dressed and got Emma up, I had to go out and shovel out the driveway (I always like to start the morning with 20 minutes of hard manual labor in sub-freezing temperatures - it just makes the whole day more fun!) Anyway, Emma is on the couch watching her favorite new show (Super Why) and I tell her "I'm going outside to shovel the driveway and I'll back inside very shortly."

So I'm outside shoveling away for about five minutes and am at the foot of the driveway when I look up and see Emma standing at the top of the driveway with tears running down her face. Oh, and she was standing there in her flimsy nightgown. Oh yeah, and she was in her BARE FEET in the snow!

I about had a coronary on the spot. I ran up the driveway, scooped her up and took her inside. When I got her calmed down (and her feet had some color back in them) she said she didn't know where I was so she came looking for me. I guess she was a little too engrossed in her show to really pay attention when I told her I was going outside.

I guess the lesson is make sure your child actually hears you when you tell them something...and wear shoes when you go out in the snow (a jacket would be nice too.)

Here's a picture of her before we left for school this morning (fully clothed, you'll notice!)

6 comments:

Gail said...

Your daughter is a beauty!!
But I think that IS an attachment issue!! A positive one! : )

Stumbled onto your blog from another...ya know how that is.
I am also a single mom. I adopted my daughter in Oct. 02!

Lisa and Tate said...

Cute cute Emma! That new favorite show much be good show to engross Emma so well.... Poor little cold barefeet.

RamblingMother said...

cute picture. Hope her feet are all warm and toasty now.

Beverly

Kim said...

Emma is sooo pretty.
She justs LOVES her Mommy to pieces.. that is why she wants to know everything you are doing..
Have a Great Weekend..

Anonymous said...

My daughter used to do that too, and the therapist called it 'anxious attachment'. She's a beauty!

C's Mom said...

Whew! Fully clothed - that had to feel better.

Sweet Emma - tell her not to freeze those toes off!