Monday, January 28, 2008

Separation anxiety (mine, not hers!)

Emma went to her first slumber party on Friday. Suddenly I had a free evening. You would think this would be thrilling for a single mom, but I honestly didn't know what to do. I ended up going to our favorite bookstore and wandering around. But I felt kind of lost and sad. There are many times during the week that Emma and I are apart...she's at school and I'm at work. And while I miss her, those are the times we're used to being apart. But this was weird...I guess because Friday night is our special night. After picking Emma up at school, we go out to dinner, then we go to the video store and get a movie. Then we get our jammies on and I let her crawl into bed with me and we watch the movie together (okay, sometimes I read too, but you get the idea.) So I definitely felt like I was missing a limb or something on Friday. Emma, on the other hand, had a fabulous time.

I guess it got me thinking. I know that right now, there is no one Emma wants to spend time with more than me. She would love to be with me 24/7 if she could. But I know over the next five years or so, that will change...that she'll want to start spending more time with her friends. And I know that five years after that, I'll no doubt be the LAST person she wants to spend time with.

There are so many times during the week when it's been a long day, or weekend, that I think "man, I wish I had an hour to myself!" But then when I get that, like this past Friday, I spend a lot of time thinking about how much I miss my girl when we're apart.

I know it sounds like I'm a kook who has no life outside of her child. That's not true...I love my job and reading and movies and my friends. But there's no doubt that the focus of my life has radically changed. And it will be interesting to see what my life will be like when Emma starts pulling away a little, as all children do (and are supposed to do.)

Anyway, everything's back to normal now...sorry I haven't picked up the camera all week, so no new photos. Hopefully I'll post some soon.

7 comments:

Super Mommy said...

I know what you mean. Neither one of my girls have stayed away from me yet, but when they are gone with my sister even for a couple of hours - I feel a sense of emptiness. -Nancy

Kim said...

I was a single mom to 3 for about 9 years... and when they would go back to Illinois to spend time with my mom,dad and grandparents... I would go nuts..
it is not unusual... I still do and they are teenagers...
It is just the love we have for our children..
Have a Great Week..
Can't wait to see pictures of Emma...
She is sooo pretty..

Global Girl said...

Totally normal (& very sweet!)

I was raised by a single mom (we're Gilmore Girls-esque close), and I know that she used to feel this way too.

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart. I can totally relate. So glad I have a little while before she wants to leave me.

I won an award at work that gives you a trip with a guest to Cancun for the festivities. I turned it down because you can't bring kids. It wouldn't be any fun without her.

Caroline said...

I completely know how you feel. Jordan had a playdate this weekend and the mom mentioned that maybe she could come for a sleepover soon. She would LOVE it but I'm not ready for my little girl to grow up!

RamblingMother said...

that is a big step for both of you. I know what you mean though about not knowing what to do on an evening off.

Beverly

Sissy Sarah and Miss Maddy said...

i am obsessed with my mom still and im 19! i dont like sharing her with maddy! lol. maybe she will be like i am and forever and always be a mommas girl