Sunday, July 27, 2008

My little guppy

I have been worried for some time now that Emma could not or would not learn to swim. She loves going to the pool and splashing around, but has steadfastly refused to put her head under water. We took swimming lessons last summer and they were a near-disaster, and Emma has gotten hysterical when I've even broached the idea of taking more lessons. Truthfully speaking, a little bit of my concern is that all of her friends know how to swim and it's a little embarrassing when you see all these two-year-olds fearlessly leaping in the pool, while your six-year-old can barely dog paddle. But I was more freaked out about the safety aspect. Your kid needs to know how to swim so they don't drown - HELLO!

Anyway, I had pretty much given up - at least for this summer. So on this beautiful and very hot weekend, we headed to the pool yesterday. Imagine my shock when Emma told me she was ready to try to put her head under water...and she just did it. Even more amazing was that after dunking her head under a few times, she starting swimming all over the pool. I had to stop her from going into the deep end by herself! We were both so excited! Sorry I don't have any photos, but I'm not inclined to take my expensive camera to the public pool...too risky, I'm afraid.

It probably would have served me well to remember that children do things when they're ready to and not one minute before. That goes for walking, talking, potty-training and now swimming.

The other big excitement today was that our caterpillar cocoons hatched and we have these four beautiful butterflies in our butterfly house. Emma was so excited and I have to admit, it was really cool. One other member of our household has taken a keen interest in the new butterflies as well...


I had to hang the butterfly house on a hook from the ceiling so Sami, Queen of the Jungle, wouldn't maul them. We are going to free the butterflies tomorrow so they can enjoy the remainder of their 3-week life span in the great outdoors.

7 comments:

Kim said...

I want to see the butterflies....
How neat...
CONGRATS on Emma getting in the water and dunking her head... those kids are sooo stubburn... don't do anything when you want them too...
Have a Great Week...

RamblingMother said...

Way to go Emma!!

missy said...

Congratulations to Emma on being such a brave little swimmer! That is fabulous.

I used to teach 2nd grade and we always did the butterfly kit in Science. I LOVED IT!!!

Have fun freeing them and take some pics, so I can live vicariously through you guys ; )

Caroline said...

Yay for Emma conquering her fear of the water and realizing she's a fish!
I think we'll try the butterfly garden next year when Ellie can appreciate it too.

Ashton said...

How Neat!!! Congrats Emma!

Julia said...

Like you said - kids will do it all in their own time. And don't discount peer pressure in this either, I've found my kids are much more willing to try some things if they see their friends doing it too. Sometimes this is good... and sometimes not so much. ;-)

Super Mommy said...

Okay - so there's hope for Jade?? LOL! She took swimming lessons two summers ago and won't take off her floaties!!

We bought some of those butterflies too! I mailed in my card - can't wait to get them!