Friday, August 08, 2008

My dilemma

Sorry I haven't posted anything in awhile. Like so many of you, I have the late-summer blogging blahs! Sometimes you just need to take a break.

Anyway, I am really struggling with something right now. First, a little background...

I am a magazine editor and work with a lot of very talented professional photographers. One of my favorite guys to work with is Gabe. He's a great guy and a super-talented photographer. Last week, Gabe and I were hanging in my office before we went out to do some location scouting and I showed him a photo I had taken of Emma. He really praised the photo, which made me feel so wonderful...I really respect his opinion. Then he said "You should really think about letting Emma do some modeling." I just kind of laughed and said "Yeah, right!" I mean, I know Emma is cute, but modeling...come on! Gabe said there are thousands of adorable kids in the world, but you can be cute and not necessarily photogenic. He thought Emma was extremely photogenic. But I just kind of laughed it off.

So a few days later after we wrapped up a shoot, Gabe asked if I had thought any more about the modeling thing for Emma. I said I really didn't think it was for us, that I didn't want to put Emma in the position of going to cattle calls and being judged by a bunch of strangers for her looks. Plus, I thought modeling agencies were just scams to make people pay for modeling classes and expensive portfolios. He said he understood that completely and there certainly are a lot of scammers out there. But he said he works with a couple of agencies in town that he would totally vouch for and they never ask for any money from their clients. He suggested when it gets a bit cooler that he could take some photos of Emma and I could submit them to these reputable agencies and see what they thought. I told him I would think about it.

So now I'm starting to think...is this a totally insane idea or would it be a good experience for Emma? I made the mistake of asking her what she thought about it and, of course, she's thrilled about the idea (I guess I shouldn't let her watch Project Runway with me!) I don't know...I mean one of the things I can never fathom is mothers entering their kids in those idiotic child beauty pageants. Is this all that different? Am I being a total hypocrite? Would I be exploiting my child? Is this communicating to her that looks are more important than anything else?

Plus, there's the money. Gabe says some of the kids he has worked with get $500 or more a day for print modeling. The idea of stashing more $$ away in Emma's paltry college fund is appealing. I'm never going to be able to afford Stanford at the rate I'm saving now!

And I have to be perfectly honest...the idea of her being rejected is devastating. I would be so distraught if I did decide to pursue this and had Gabe take some photos and submit them and then have the agency turned her down.

So I'm not sure what I'm going to do...any advice is welcome. I'll probably have Gabe go ahead and take the photos...at the very least, I'll get some really cute photos of Emma from a great photographer for free.

Anyway, here's a photo of America's Next Top Model...maybe!

8 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

Just do it for fun. If nothing comes of it then your no worse for the wear. She is a beautiful child!

Tiffany

park it said...

Here is my 2 cents - since you asked - I would say yes do it - based on a few things -1 that Emma understand just like playing a game she will not " everytime" and maybe watch some commercials or flip thru the paper - showing her all types of kids - cute kids (like Emma :-) ) and other kids that are lets say... not so cute - of course not saying it ilke that to her...but the gist is that they select ALL types of kids - if she makes $ then into the fund it goes - if it becomes too much - you can always pull her out - or tell her at the start it is for 1 year (as you can always extend it)..

Either way - she is so cute and i wish you luck!
Carol in FL

Julia said...

Donna, she certainly is adorable and oh so photogenic, but I can see the dilemna here too, I would have the same thoughts and questions. You know though, it wouldn't hurt just to check it out some more, and maybe even let her go to a shoot to see what it's like. I agree that you can't completely ignore the money aspect of it. Just like anything, keep it in moderation and only do something that you feel comfortable with. Good luck!

Donna said...

Well, she's a cutie for sure!

I say go for it and stop if it stops being fun or feels like exploitation.

I was raised around models (my parents owned a popular nightclub) and got a rather skewed perspective on what level of beauty is acceptable. As a result, I'm incredibly unforgiving of any of my physical flaws. My parents didn't realize that they were screwing me up this way but they sure did!

My girls have totally different body shapes and I tell them both that they're beautiful (cuz they are!) but modeling can make girls think they need to be very thin. If it starts to feel like Emma is getting pressure to change her appearance to be more "perfect", I'd pull her immediately. But, until then, it might be lots of fun!

:)


Donna
Our Blog: Double Happiness!

Kim said...

Emma can be a model FOR SURE...
She is beautiful..
Let her TRY..
Have a Great WEekend..

Lisa and Tate said...

She is stunning! I think you should go for it.... as long as she is doing it for fun and knows that beauty is only skin deep and could be rejected just because. At least open the door and see where the path leads.

Lisa

Super Mommy said...

Why not?? I would. . . especially if I had a "scout" helping me and you do! Emma would make a darling model.

C's Mom said...

Tiffany took the words right out of my mouth.