Saturday, August 23, 2008

Teething again

The older your child gets, the more you seem to forget about her baby years. For example, I know I changed Emma's diaper thousands of times, but she's been potty trained for so long, I really don't remember the dirty diapers. She sat in a high chair to eat for at least two years, but I don't have any real tangible memory of it and I don't even know what happened to her high chair (we probably sold it or it's down in the basement somewhere.)

I also have only a vague recollection of Emma cutting her baby teeth. I mean, I sort of recall the drooling and fussiness and low-grade fever. But she's had all her baby teeth for so many years, that memory has faded as well.

So when Emma complained yesterday that her mouth was hurting, I thought maybe it was a cut or a sore or something. So imagine my surprise when I looked into her mouth and saw a tooth way in the back of her mouth peeking through her gum. It was pretty inflamed and even bleeding a little. But a little ibuprofen seemed to help and she hasn't complained about it since.

It sort of slipped my mind that kids cut more molars at around age six and usually another set around 12. I do think Emma's dentist is correct when she said there just wasn't going to be enough space in Emma's mouth for those additional teeth. I can't imagine two more sets of molars fitting in that tiny mouth. Orthodontia is definitely in our future, I'm afraid.

The good thing is that Emma has become kind of obsessed with oral hygiene of late. She brushes her teeth diligently and swishes her mouth with fluoride rinse. Then she spends about five minutes flossing her teeth (just like her mom - HAHAHAHA!) I am glad she wants to take care of her new teeth...let's hope she keeps it up!

6 comments:

Jboo said...

Wow -- she is good to do all that brushing and flossing!! My girl has a newly loose top front tooth that she is busy wiggling lately. Have a fun weekend.

Off to brush teeth!

Janet

Kim said...

Sorry to hear about the teething pain...
LOVE clean teeth..
Have a Great Sunday..

missy said...

I remember when Paige's six year molars came in and yes, she complained too. Sounds like Emma is taking it in stride.

I am so glad she is into oral hygeine! Paige lacks in that department...I have to stay on her...sigh!

Anonymous said...

NO FUN!!!

But how cool is she flossing those beautiful pearly whites!

RamblingMother said...

Glenys has a very small mouth too. I am a bit worried myself. Way to go to use the floss.

Anonymous said...

She is even a beauty flossing :)! Good for her! Hope the tooth comes in fast!