Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First day...first grade

Today is Emma's first day of first grade. Here's a picture of Emma with her friend Amy in their new clothes and maryjanes on the first day of school...


And here's my happy little girl...she's so thrilled to be a first-grader at last!


I indulged in my usual first-day-of-school ritual...I dropped Emma off in her classroom and then burst into tears on the way back to the car. Even though you go through this year after year, it's still hard to believe how fast your child is growing up. The first day of school just brings it all into focus for an intense moment.

UPDATE: Just to reply to a couple of the comments...yes, Emma does go to a French immersion school. After one year of kindergarten, she's pretty fluent...it's amazing to someone like me who struggled with through three years of high school Spanish and still never really was comfortable with it!

11 comments:

Joan said...

I am so excited for you and Emma. I do the same next week for my Elizabeth. I probably should drop off my younger daughter first in case I do the crying jag too.

Jboo said...

Oh my gosh -- those girls are simply too cute!! Hope she has a great time in first grade! How exciting for her --- and it's always hard for Mom. Take it easy!

Janet

Kim said...

LOVE the 1st day of school..
Emma is soooo pretty..
Have a Great Week..

Lisa and Tate said...

Soooo cute! Am I remembering right but is she in French immersion school??

RamblingMother said...

she is so cute. just something for me to look forward to.

Julie said...

Happy first day of school!!!

I can't help notice the name of the school - une ecole francaise?

Julia said...

WOW - Almost fluent in first grade, I'm majorly impressed. How wonderful to have a school like that near you too. Hard to believe Emma and M are really only two years apart, for some reason I think of Emma has such a baby still - she can't be growing up this fast!

Michelle R Photography said...

Thanks for stopping by. Your Emma is adorable. My oldest started first grade this year, too. It was very emotional for me because she is now a full-time student. Kindergarten was only 2 1/2 days/week, so I am missing her big time! I so relate to your post about crying on the way back to the car.

missy said...

Awww, look at your big, beautiful first grader! She is so precious and I love the school uniform. I wish we had a language immersion program near us. What a great opportunity you are giving Emma.

Paige can fluenty speak "Southern drawl" : )

Sylvia said...

So cool that your daughter goes to an immersion school.

Caroline said...

I love your uniforms! Jordan's clothes are limited to just khaki, navy and white but she can wear anything in those colors.