Sunday, August 17, 2008

A little housekeeping

Since she was a little girl, Emma has always been eager to help me around the house. She was always begging me to let her dust the furniture or sort the laundry. She would beam with pride when she had straightened her room and put all her toys away.

However, I am beginning to think her enthusiastic attitude toward house cleaning is waning. I came to this conclusion on Saturday morning when, as I was furiously scrubbing the bathroom floor, Emma yelled from the living room, where she was watching TV, "Mommy can you stop that long enough to get me some juice?" GGGRRR!!! You can imagine what my answer was. Instead, I snapped off the TV, ordered her upstairs to clean her room. After about three minutes, she came downstairs and said she was done. I went up to check and found that she had merely moved one pile of toy clutter from one side of the room to the other. I strongly suggested she give it a little more effort and eventually her room met my not terribly high standards. Needless to say, I know one child who will not be getting her allowance this week.

We did have some fun this weekend, however. On Friday, we went to see Momma Mia! Emma absolutely loves Abba, but I was hesitant to take her because it was a PG-13 movie. But I checked on one of those movie sites that reviews films for parents and they said with the exception of a few "Oh my God's" and a shot of a man's bare behind, it was pretty tame. Needless to say, Emma loved every minute of it - she had a big smile on her face the whole time. I'm so glad we went. I downloaded the soundtrack on ITunes when we got home and we've been listening to it all weekend.

On Saturday, Emma went to her friend Macie's 6th birthday party. Their good friend Pacey, who moved away a couple months ago, came to the party too and it was so wonderful to see the girls together again - they've known each other since they were 1-year-olds in preschool...they seem like such young ladies now!


And we squeezed in a trip to the pool this afternoon - I suspect our last of the summer. The water was really too cool for me, but Emma had fun perfecting her cannonball jump into the pool.

Hope everyone had a great weekend as well - enjoy your week!

7 comments:

Briana's Mom said...

What a cute pic!

I saw Momma Mia! today and I LOVED it! Seriously loved it!

Kim said...

Okay.. let me give you a little heads up...
It only gets worse... sorry.. but it does..
But just to let you know..
EMMA is beautiful..
That picture is amazing....love her smile and the dress is adorable..
Glad you had a Great Weekend...
HUGS..

RamblingMother said...

something for me to look forward too. Glenys already does the demand for me to stop what I do to help her. Oh well. Cute pic of the girls.

Julia said...

I love that photo, Emma looks so sweet with her friends, and just like my M, she's always the shortest one too isn't she. Don't worry to much about the housecleaning, at least in Lib's case, the desire came back, she's much neater now than Meisi is. Poor Emma though - her timing was just a little off on that juice request

Lisa and Tate said...

What??? YOU did not stop scrubbing the bathroom floor to get your gal some juice? What kind of mommie are you? Haha.

Momma mia is on my (long) list of shows to see. I think it just may move to the top.

Jboo said...

What a great photo of the three girls! They look so sweet!

Glad to hear the review of Mama Mia -- I was wondering if it was one that I could take Maddy to see.

Good luck with school starting soon!

Janet

Super Mommy said...

Don't you just love the sassy-ness?? From the outside it sounds cute and made me snicker - but I am sure it frustrated you too! Hopefully it's just a phase and Emma will be back to her helpful, cleaning self soon!