Thursday, January 15, 2009

The "b" word

Emma has used the word "bored" several times in the past week or so. Last weekend, after we spent the day running errands and just hanging out, she told me she was bored and wanted to go over to a friend's house (not any particular friend...just any friend.) Then the next day, when I asked her if she wanted to go to the park, she asked if we could ask a friend to go too.

She used to be content to spend all her time with me, but I can see that time is coming to an end. I think I'm still her favorite person to be with, but I'm no longer the ONLY person she wants to be around. And I know a few years down the line, I will be the last person she wants to be with. Her friends are taking an increasingly bigger role in her life.

I understand that this is normal and it's a good thing. But it's really making me a little sad. It's the first sign that she's gaining some independence and that soon her life will not be my life. It's one of the most difficult thing a parent has to deal with. You love this little person so fiercely, but all too soon, it's your job to start to let them go and become their own person. I just wish I could hold her so close to me forever and never let go, but that is not the right thing to do.

Anyway, here's a photo of my squeaky-clean, not-so-little-anymore girl.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Emma is soooooo Beautiful..
Sorry to hear this,, but totally understand..
Have a great weekend..

Jboo said...

We have the same thing going on at our house too! It does make me a little sad at times, but happy that she is getting so independent! Tomorrow M is actually participating in a cheer clinic and then they are doing a cheer at the HS halftime BB game! And she's excited about it -- shocking -- because she is often hesitant to try new things.

Love your photo -- she's so pretty even with wet hair!

Have a fun weekend.
Janet

Donna said...

She may not be little anymore but she's still the other "b" word, beautiful. It's hard to let go, isn't it? But the up side is that you get a bit more time for yourself.

Super Mommy said...

Jade hasn't hit that stage yet . . . maybe (crossing fingers here) since Jasmine is always with us, it's like having a friend around. I feel your pain though . . . I know my turn will be sooner than later.

Great photo!!

Briana's Mom said...

This is such a sweet post! I guess it all comes with growing up. Hang in there!