Sunday, January 25, 2009

The home fires burning...

A few weeks ago, a fellow mom and I were discussing when it was that kids stopped having big birthday parties. Last year, it seemed that Emma was invited to some huge all-class birthday party every other weekend. This year, I think we've been to two parties so far. My friend and I agreed that it was in first grade that most kids (or more likely, their mothers) decided to forgo big birthday bashes in favor of much smaller affairs or no party at all.

So, of course, Emma promptly gets invited to two birthday parties this past weekend...so much for my theory. She went to a slumber party Friday night and then went to another party Saturday afternoon at one of those big gymnastics places. Needless to say, she was pooped by Saturday night. She went to bed at 8 and didn't wake up until almost ten this morning. We skipped church (since she pretty much slept through it) and ended up going to see "Hotel for Dogs" (really cute) since it was too cold to do anything else.

When we got home, probably because of the cold, on total impulse, I decided to build a fire. I haven't used our fireplace since adopting Emma. Fire and young children just didn't seem to mix and making and tending a fire is a lot of work. But much to my surprise, I got a fire going in a short time and Emma was thrilled. I snapped a couple photos of her in front of our blazing inferno...



Unfortunately, we didn't have any marshmallows to roast...but it was still fun. Now I'm sitting here waiting for the embers to die down so I can close the damper before I go to bed. This is the part of having a fireplace I don't like!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Love the photo's of Emma beside the fire..
Have a Great Week..
Happy CNY...

Eliza2006 said...

Pretty pictures! Something about a fire is so cozy! I have a fireplace in my basement, but I've never used it.

Donna said...

You've inspired me to use our fireplace soon; beautiful pictures. I wonder if the lack of birthday parties, at least until this weekend, is due to the economy. In our area, the parties seem to be as large and an numerous as ever, although things are slowing down a bit for my 10 year old.

Michelle said...

She is just adorable :)

Jboo said...

Great photos and sounds like fun and busy weekend!

Waiting for the embers to die out was what convinced me to change our fireplace to a gas one. Love it -- it's on and then it's off! No waiting - YAY!

Happy CNY!
Janet

C's Mom said...

Love the fireplace photos.

I have fires nearly every night that I am home and not on call. LOVE that fireplace and PIPA will be a little (safe) pyromaniac in no time too.