Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Calling Martha Stewart!

We've got some really nice neighbors next door...these two gay men who are really delightful (even more so after they took out their swimming pool and stopped having late-night pool parties!) Anyway, they always really knock themselves out when it comes to decorating the outside of their house for holidays. Their Christmas decorations are amazing, although they did have one of those huge inflatable snow globe things last year that I think are pretty tacky. So this year, they have a whole new Halloween decor, with orange and white blinking lights and scarecrows and pumpkins and ghosts and witches. Pretty spectacular.

So Emma and I were outside last night taking in the whole thing. She turned to me and said "Momma, I wish you were more talented so we could have a cool yard like this." I just cracked up (a) because it's true and (b) my daughter's "tell it like it is" personality is pretty hysterical (at least at this point.)

Even though I thought it was funny, I was embarrassed enough to make a run to Michael's over my lunch hour to pick up some Halloween-type decorations. Emma and I put them up after school. So here's my pathetic attempt at decorating for the holiday...

It's so sad, I know...but Emma thinks it's stupendous and that's all that matters to me!

7 comments:

Joannah said...

"A" for effort!

C's Mom said...

I think it's a lovely start...just remember the obscenity in my parent's front yard...be careful with that stick!

Elise said...

I think he's cute and Emma is probably very proud!

Sara said...

He's cute and your kiddo is too cute! I bet she just loved the decorations. Fun!

Calico Sky said...

Your Emma's comments always give me such a good chuckle!
I love the scarecrow, how super. Not only is there no thanksgiving or Halloween here (which means no fall decorations), but no one decorates outside their house for Christmas either!

Calico Sky said...

p.s. man oh man I had forgotten how much I missed Martha Stewart. Boo Hoo! I loved her holiday shows...

Julia said...

It looks a whole lot more crafty than my house right now! We don't have a thing up, and I'm not feeling too guilty about it either... well, maybe just a little.