Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Little Mermaid is here!

This is a very exciting day in our household...The Little Mermaid is finally out on DVD! Emma loves Ariel, but the only copy of The Little Mermaid we have is a pretty much unplayable VHS tape. So we've been looking forward to the day the Disney special edition DVD comes out.

While I'm on the subject, I think this Disney policy of releasing the classic animated films on DVD like once every ten years and then "putting them in the vault" is insane. I think Disney must be a secret partner in Ebay or something, because the only way you can get a DVD of Snow White, for example, is by paying $80 for it on Ebay. It's not that big of a deal, except that you're going to have whole generations of little girls who will never really get to see certain Disney classics because they aren't available when they are at the age that those movies are most appealing (anti-Disney rant concluded...)

Anyway, back to The Little Mermaid...I ran over to Target on my lunch hour to pick up a copy. I was soooo excited because Target had this promotion where if you bought the DVD and the Ariel/Prince Eric wedding doll set, you got the Ariel wedding dress costume for free (a $24.95 value!) The doll set is on Emma's (extremely long and still growing) Christmas list, so for about $35, I got the DVD, the doll set and this beautiful Ariel wedding dress costume. It was pretty funny, because while I was in the toy section picking this stuff up, a middle-aged man in a business suit was wandering around looking really confused. He had obviously been sent there on his lunch hour by his wife to buy the same stuff. Poor guy, I finally asked if I could help him out, and showed him where everything was (they didn't have it all in one place, which made it a little challenging - not for an experienced shopper like myself, of course!) He was really grateful...

My only dilemma is that if I show Emma the Ariel wedding dress, I most likely can forget about her wearing the Lilo Halloween costume I just spent $30 on. Oh well, we'll see...I'm not sure what I'll do. I guess she'll be a cute Lilo or a cute Ariel!

3 comments:

C's Mom said...

Or maybe you just need a costume change in the middle of Halloween ;0)

Good luck!

Calico Sky said...

i agree,another money making scheme by disney I think!
You could save everything for Christmas - will be one heck of a surprise then :-)

Sara said...

I had no idea that Disney only releases the classics once every 10 years. What's up with that?

Running out to buy my copy now...wouldn't want the little one to miss out on the Little Mermaid! Yikes! :-)