Thursday, October 05, 2006

Here comes the bride...

Okay...so sue me! I went ahead and gave Emma the Ariel wedding dress I got for free at Target (see last post.) I couldn't help it...I knew how much she'd love it. I was right!

When I saw this picture, I got kind of emotional, because I started wondering if I would ever see my little girl get married. When your in your forties and you've got a young child, you really worry about missing these things. Then I started fretting about who would walk Emma down the aisle, since she doesn't have a father. Sometimes it just breaks my heart that she doesn't have a dad. Although she seemed pretty preoccupied about not having a father early on (much more than being adopted really), she seems to have moved on from that. But I still think about it a lot. She's such a wonderful child that she deserves a mom and a dad (and brothers and sisters and a dog and a bunch of other things she doesn't have right now either.) I know I'm a pretty good mom (better than I ever thought I would be.) I just wonder sometimes if that's enough.

7 comments:

C's Mom said...

It IS enough.

And your bride is beautiful :0)

Eliza2006 said...

Awww, what a beautiful bride!!! I think it is wonderful that Emma has such great mom. Sure, she could have more, but she could also have less. She looks happy and well-adjusted. Keep up the good work!

Tiffany

Catherine said...

What a sweetie!

Anonymous said...

Too cute! My girlfriend did put my oldest daughter in a dress up wedding dress. My husband came home as she was walking down the stairs. OMG, my husband almost had a heart attack at that moment. He told me later he is not ready for her to grow up that fast.

Just love this picture.

Sherrie in HB

Calico Sky said...

She is adorable!
I am pretty sure it will be you walking her down that aisle!
You and Emma make such a wonderful family, inspirational to many I am sure!!!

Anonymous said...

From one single parent to another, you're not alone. I wonder all those things too. I'm 34 and although I'm pretty healthy right now, you just never know what the future holds. Ruby doesn't have a dad but she's still too young to ask for one or why one isn't around. To her, just a Momma & just a Ruby is a 'family'. She has my parents (who live right downstairs) and they see her every day, for which I'm blessed... and she has a great relationship with her Nonno *my father*, but I'm pretty sure he won't be here to walk her down the aisle should she ever get married. And the reality is, maybe our girls won't get married... we didn't, right? I mean, I just want her to find happiness & whatever form that happiness takes, I'll be fully supportive. I won't be adopting again so she'll be an only child, but she does have a cousin Isabella who is just about to turn 1 so they're only a year apart... and should something ever happen to me, my brother Adam is her legal guardian, so in that event, she'll have instant sister/cousin 24/7. Obviously I don't want it to come down to that but you know what, it's good to have a plan in place. And also, as far as who is going to walk Emma down the aisle... if I may make a suggestion: WHY CAN'T YOU DO IT SILLY! Nothing in our lives thus far has gone the 'traditional' way (single mothers adopting) so why stop there? Hell, if Ruby wants to get married & there's still no 'father' in the picture. Unless she asks my brother to do it or my father if he's still blessing us with his company, then I'll be more than happy to step up to the plate & PROUDLY walk my baby girl towards her future. We walk everywhere now hand & hand... we're kinda used to it, and oddly enough, her hand in mine? A PERFECT FIT! *smile*

Donna said...

I was a single mom at 27, married at 40, and two daughters at 44!

Unless they get married after they're 50, I plan to be at the wedding! My Grandma is 87 and still going strong! Her mother was 96 when she died so I have every reason to believe that I'll not only see my girls in their wedding dress but I might see their daughters in a wedding dress too!

:)

Donna
Double Happiness!