Thursday, August 23, 2007

I am the mom of a kindergartener

Today was Emma's first day of kindergarten. We were so thrilled when we found out at the open house yesterday that Emma would have her summer school teacher, Mr. Thomas, for kindergarten. And a lot of her friends are in her class, so that's great too.

Although Emma had been talking about how nervous she was about going to kindergarten, she was all smiles this morning before we headed out.




When I dropped her off at school, I gave her a quick kiss and hug at the classroom door (as we were advised to do by the principal) and that was that.

I was totally shocked when I started crying out in the parking lot and bawled all the way to work. I had been telling myself the past week or so that going off to kindergarten just isn't the milestone it used to be, because most kids are in daycare and preschool these days. But it was obviously a bigger deal than I thought! The sight of Emma in her little plaid jumper and brand new mary janes was very emotional for me.

Emma didn't have a whole lot to say about her first day when I picked her up. This was her first day of total French immersion, so maybe she didn't understand much of what was going on. But she mentioned how much she loves her new school, so that's wonderful. We'll just have to wait and see how the year progresses...

9 comments:

Lisa and Tate said...

What a cute little school girl! Kindergarten does seem so significant. Big hugs to the momma.

Lisa

Calico Sky said...

Oh Donna, Big Hugs, it must have been very emotional!
She look soooooooooooooo adorable in her uniform and I love those mary jane's!!!
Bless her little heart!
Hope school continues to go well for both of you!!!

C's Mom said...

Look how proud she is!

I love it. I also dread the river I will cry when that day comes for me and my girl.

I'll make sure to keep plenty of tissues next to my orthopedic shoes ;0)

RamblingMother said...

She looks so grown up. How cute she is.

Beverly

Julia said...

Oh man, I'm so impressed you held it together till you got to the parking lot! Lib switched homes, neighborhood and schools a month after the start of K, but on her fist day the teacher they'd assigned her wasn't there, so instead of her first day being with a sub, they just made a last minute change for her classroom, but we had to wait about an hour till they got her new room/teacher all set up. The longer we waited, the more nervous Lib and I got and by the time they called us back, we were both bawling - it was horrible! They said Lib cried for the first hour, but then was fine. Our kids are so resilient and in many cases, they are much better prepared then we are!

Sara said...

So cute! Love her little mary jane's!

Anonymous said...

That jumper brings back memories. She looks adorable!

Kim said...

She looks so adorable...
She is growing up...
Have a Great Weekend.
Kim

kitchu said...

Oh my gosh... she looks SO cute~!!
Sorry it was hard for you- I imagine it's a mixed bag, as time must seem to fly by watching your little girl grow up!