Friday, August 31, 2007

Crummy day...

Okay, yesterday was really not a very good day for me...

First, my car, which has been giving me loads of trouble lately, broke down on the way home from work. Fortunately, it stopped working right in front of Emma's friend's house, when I picked her up after school. But I had to have it towed to the shop and then deal with the hassle of getting a rental this morning. The car guys just called and said they think the transmission's bad. Gee, what will that run me...like $2,000?! I don't know what to do...I just paid off this car last month. It's like Daimler-Chrysler got the last payment and pressed a button on some remote control computer and fried my car so I'd have to get a new one. Dang!

Second, I got a letter from my former health insurer that they weren't going to cover a recent health test I had to have because they claim I was no longer being covered by their insurance, even though I was still under their plan. So now I have to go through the hassle of somehow proving to them that they were covering me, while trying to fend off the hospital, which is pressuring me to cough up $1,200. I despise the insurance industry so much...don't even get me started.

Them last night, Emma's kindergarten teacher called to tell me that he's having major problems with Emma talking in class all the time. I was so shocked, mainly because Emma is usually very quiet and shy. Apparently she's coming out of her shell, because he says she won't stop talking with her classmates, even after he has told her to. She apparently spent some time out in the hallway yesterday because she wouldn't pipe down. He was really nice and said Emma's a very sweet and intelligent child, but it's something she needs to work on. He just didn't want me to get freaked out if Emma came home saying she had to stand out in the hallway. So I tried to talk to her about it after I got off the phone. She just started crying and said she wanted to go back to her other school. I know that's not true, but she was upset. I just told her she needed to concentrate on not talking while Mr. Thomas or one of the other children are talking. We'll see...

Somehow, this then morphed into a tearful conversation about how she doesn't like being the smallest one all the time. She's really at that age where kids are excited about being the biggest and weighing the most (that will end soon enough!) But for right now, it really bothers her being so tiny. Her friend Emme was over yesterday and both girls got on the scale. Emme weighed 52 and Emma just 30. She was not happy that 52 was more than 30. I kept telling her that she was growing and would catch up with her friends. At one point, she said "I wish I wasn't Chinese...then I'd be bigger" which made me sad.

Anyway, a very emotional day for both of us. I mean, compared to say, refugees facing genocide in Dafur or something, it wasn't really a horrible day. But for me, not my best...

6 comments:

Yoli said...

I hope you have a better day tomorrow. Your girl is lovely and you are doing an excellent job.

Yoli

Christi and Abbey said...

Wow, just catching up on your blog. I am so sorry about everything yucky hitting you in one day. it's got to get better, right? Emma looks adorable for her first day of school and I love the McDonald's photo.

Calico Sky said...

Oh Donna, I am really sorry! I hope that now that your horrid day is over, the rest of the weekend is brighter!
(((BIG HUGS)))
Your an amazing mom :)

Lisa and Tate said...

You are right that somehow cars seem to "go bad" after they are paid off.... new concept that remote control thingy!

Your are not alone...Insurance companies.... a real hate for me.

Sorry your day was soooooo very bad! tomorrow is always another (hopefully better) day!!!

Lisa

C's Mom said...

That does sound like a stink of a day.

I feel your pain on insurance companies. Evil, I tell ya!

I am sure Emma will again love her beautiful Chinese self. After all, how could she not? She's got a great mom to help get through the tough times.

Caroline said...

Hugs to you and Emma. What a lousy day! My last car payment is this coming January and I'm imagining my car is going to do the same thing. Jordan also struggles with the smallest child issue. Luckily, there are two other Chinese girls in her class and they are all close to the same height.