Thursday, August 02, 2007

Things I've decided to be crabby about

Here are a couple of things that are making me cranky this week:

#1

After starting and sticking with a diet for more than six months, I've lost like 35 pounds. However, I haven't lost any weight in more than three weeks...nothing, zip, not even an ounce. Sure, it could be that I've hit that dreadful dieting plateau where you can't seem to lose anything, no matter how hard you try. But I think it's more likely that I've gotten a bit fast and loose with what I'm eating. I came to this epiphany while eating some of Emma's nachos grande at Taco Bell the other night (something I normally wouldn't touch - I don't even like them that much!) So I need to re-commit myself so I can lose this last ten pounds.

#2

I have come to the conclusion that Emma has developed a case of the "gimme gimmes." I should preface this by saying that in the past, Emma seldom, if ever, has demanded anything. On the rare occasion when we were at the store and she asked for something, if I said no, that would be the end of it. But lately, I'm noticed little signs that this is starting to change. A couple times when I've picked her up from school, she has asked "did you buy me anything today?" And she's starting to see commercials on tv and asking if she can have this or that. I really think this is more of a mommy problem than an Emma problem. I have probably been buying her too much stuff lately and I need to stop. I just love getting her toys and clothes. But I'm going to cool it before it gets out of hand and I end up with a spoiled, demanding child.

#3

I feel like one of my best friends and I are drifting apart and I'm not sure why. Maybe we're taking our friendship for granted and neither of us is putting any effort into it. But I'm going to try to be better about emailing and calling her and getting together with her and her daughter.

Things I am actually happy about this week:

#1

After sort of feeling lost the first couple of weeks, I'm finally settling into a groove with the new job. I've been insanely busy the last two weeks trying to get a magazine out, but it's been kind of cool running all around for photo shoots and working with the writers. I really think it's going to end up being a great job for me!

#2

We're meeting my sister, her husband and their two kids this weekend in St. Louis. Emma adores her cousins, who she only seems to get to see 2-3 times a year. So we're looking forward to this. Hopefully we'll have a wonderful time, despite the predicted 90+ temps.

So, like most people, some good and some not-so-good going on in our lives. But I guess all things considered, we're doing pretty well and I shouldn't complain.

3 comments:

C's Mom said...

I still say give yourself an amazing round of applause on 35# down! That's fabulous.

Calico Sky said...

Tis life isn't it?!
I remember the gimme gimme stage with sweatpea. In the end we had to have some big talks and I had to cut back. One good way around it, is that for everything new you get you have to donate one thing to charity - good lesson especially if you take it in to a charity,i.e. a shelter!
Your life always sounds so wonderful and non chaotic! lol

Shelley said...

I'm with CJ. Good for you getting to 35. I'm hopefully right behind you.

And what a cool sounding job you have!! Do you need an assistant? :)