Monday, February 04, 2008

And so it begins...

...I'm referring to Emma's love of everything equestrian and the drain it's going to put on my resources. Emma is becoming more and more enamored of horses with every passing week (and with every lesson she takes.) Because of my concern about her safety, this week I bought Emma her own riding helmet ($40). She's been using the ones at her barn, but I wanted her to have her own that fits well and that I know hasn't been damaged in any falls yet. We got the helmet today and she loves it - mainly because it's bright red!


Speaking of safety, Emma took her first tumble off a horse on Sunday. I about had a heart attack. She was riding bareback this week to learn more about how to control a horse with her legs, not just the reins. Her horse wasn't going fast, but she somehow slid right off of him, onto the soft dirt in the arena. She was fine, although she shed a couple tears. But she got right back on and finished her lesson. I was told falls are just part of riding horses and, in a way, I'm glad we got our first one out of the way. But I'd still be thrilled if I never had to see my kid flying off a horse again!

11 comments:

Kim said...

Love the helmet...
AND Emma looks wonderful in it...
Sorry to hear she had a fall.. but it will make her stronger..
Have a Great Week..

C's Mom said...

That fall would have given me a heart attack too. Do they make equestrian-lover bubble wrap? I'd be investing ;0)

Eliza2006 said...

She's so cute. One could never deny a face like that! Do you have equity in your house...you may need it!

Tiffany

Sophie's Mom said...

Love the helmet! Glad she didn't get stepped on (ouch!) How about some velco on her butt?

Anonymous said...

Hi from won Gymbo china mom to another. I got your blog link from gymbo friends, where I saw the ADORABLE photo of your Emma. I have 2 adorable Chinese children (ages 5 1/2 and 2 1/2), 2 birth kids (ages 28 and 27 YEARS) and 2 grand kids (ages 8 mos and 2 1/2). My grown daughter and I have become gymbofanatics. I love your daughter's photos - oooh what a sweetie pie. I know you are deeply in love.

Blessings,
Debbie Miller

RamblingMother said...

Yeah I would have a heart attack too. Are you encouraged to watch practice or not? I don't think I could. She is awfully cute in her helmet though.

Beverly

Global Girl said...

Smart call on the new helmet. My first riding fall was around age 6 or 7. I'm glad it didn't stress Emma out too much!

Donna said...

Yikes about the fall. I think having your own helmet is a good call; one of my daughter's friends got lice from using a barn helmet. Very cute picture.

Christi and Abbey said...

Never got to comment on your "favorite photo" post way back...it is just he sweetest baby photo ever. I also thought Emma's multi-tasking was a hoot : )
I get an inkling of things to come as I read your posts. Riding horses and going to B-day parties without me sounds so far away, but in a few blinks it will be here. Thank you for sharing with us.
Your daughter is gorgeous and your relationship with her is wonderful. Lord help me when Abbey wants to start wearing teeny type clothes, which will probably happen next week.

Sissy Sarah and Miss Maddy said...

she looks like the perfect little ridder! thats awesome shes learning at such an early age!! she looks awesome

Ashley Winters said...

What a beautiful little girl! She looks so pretty in her equestrian attire!