Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Emma meets her literary heroine...

...well, at least one of them!

Last night, the Junie B. Jones Stupid Smelly Bus Tour came to our town. Emma LOVES the Junie B. Jones books. I know there are a lot of parents who can't stand Junie B. because she can be an obnoxious little girl at times. But we are one of those families who thinks she's a hoot. Sometimes when I'm reading the books to Emma, I'll edit out when Junie B. calls someone a stupidhead when she gets mad at them. And we talk about how, while we think the things Junie B. does are funny, that doesn't mean we act that way or say some of the things she says.

At any rate, we were very excited to learn the Junie B. Jones Stupid Smelly Bus Tour was coming to one of our local libraries. I picked Emma up from school and we raced to Chipotle for dinner (conveniently located across from the library.)

Before the show, I took Emma's photo in front of the Junie B. Jones bus...


I'm glad we got there early because there were at least 300 kids there with their parents. They announced it was the biggest turnout so far for the tour. We ended up snagging seats in the second row. The show essentially consists of an adult actress playing Junie B. and an actor playing Junie's bus driver Mr. Woo. I was kind of skeptical that a grown-up could play Junie B., but the actress was amazing and totally captured the essence of this little girl. Here they are...


I don't think I've seen Emma enjoy anything so much. She laughed non-stop and was totally mesmerized by the show...


After the show, the kids were allowed to take one of their Junie B. Jones books up to get stamped by Junie B. I was hoping to get a photo of Emma with the actress playing Junie B., but they were rushing kids through there so fast. So I just got Emma getting her book stamped...


Here's what her book looks like...


Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I'm so glad we got to go. We started reading "Junie B. Jones: The Toothless Wonder" last night. It's about Junie B. losing her first tooth and the timing is perfect since Emma's about ready to have her first tooth fall out!

5 comments:

RamblingMother said...

Awwww what fun!! I can't and can wait until Glenys is reading those. I remember my niece reading them. I read one of hers one night and enjoyed it, myself.

Beverly

Super Mommy said...

Sounds like fun! Admit it, you had fun too!

Lisa and Tate said...

I love Junie B!! What a fun great read.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Oh man, my little one would LOVE this! She has read every Junie B Jones book there is, and gets absolutely enthralled with them. I had no idea there was a tour. I have to keep telling you how much I love your photos too - that one of Emma's profile is just so sweet!

Shannon said...

I love the Junie B. books, too. Fun and a great way to begin a discussion about not so great behavior. The bus tour sounds like a wonderful time out together!