Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Great Decluttering Project - Part 1

As I mentioned in my last post, the time is long overdue to go through all of Emma's toys, books and clothes to weed out what is no longer played with, read or worn. So this weekend, we started with the books. I took our pal Mary's advice to get Emma involved in the process, to let her help decide what stays and what goes, and to help her understand that the things we are getting rid of will go to kids who don't have all the nice things she does.

Well, initially things didn't go exactly as planned. She decided she wanted to keep EVERY book she had, even the ones she hadn't touched since she was like two years old. But eventually she got in the spirit of things and started to pick out some books she could part with (my little Mother Teresa doesn't look thrilled in this picture though!)


I would have tossed a lot more, but eventually we ended up with a pretty significant pile of books that I will take to a local bookstore that collects children's books to distribute to low-income families.


Next weekend, we'll tackle the toy box, which should be a REAL challenge!

No comments: