Thursday, November 02, 2006

Am I too strict here?

Emma was playing with her state-of-the-art Disney Princess cell phone last night. She was having an imaginary conversation with her "boyfriend" Rashaan. Rashaan is a really cute 6-year-old boy at her school (Emma has always preferred older men.) Anyway, when she finished with her pretend phone call, she told me that Rashaan had called because he wanted to go out on a date with her.

WHAT...ARE YOU INSANE???!!! I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW YOU KNEW WHAT A DATE WAS! YOU WILL NOT BE DATING TEN YEARS FROM NOW, MISSY, LET ALONE WHEN YOU ARE FOUR YEARS OLD! NOW GO TO YOUR ROOM AND DON'T COME OUT UNTIL YOU ARE 18!

Okay, that's what I wanted to say, but I refrained. I told her I thought maybe she was just a little too young to go out on a date. But I asked her where she and Rashaan would go on a date. She thought for a moment and said brightly "Maybe you could take us to the playground and to Chucky Cheese!"

Frankly, that sounds better than some of the dates I've been on...I won't bore you with the details of the time a guy took me out to an elegant dinner at Long John Silver's on our first (and only) date. I swear, that hush puppy is still lodged in my colon somewhere.

Anyway, call me Mommie Dearest, but I don't think I'll let Emma start dating quite yet. It's really freaky how soon kids today start thinking about stuff like that, though...

4 comments:

PandaMom said...

Thanks for visiting! Your Emma is a doll! I'll keep checking back to visit. Oh, and I agree on the no-dating-at-4 thing!

Joannah said...

Oh, you are such a mean mom! Come on! All the other preschool kids are dating! ;-)

C's Mom said...

Oy!

Calico Sky said...

My sentiments exactly Connie!!!