Saturday, December 16, 2006

The meltdown

Let me preface this by saying I have been pretty much blessed with the world's most even-tempered and well-behaved child. I'm sure it's partly due to her genetics and partly due to the fact that I expect Emma to behave and she knows there are consequences if she doesn't. I think I've had to put her in the "naughty chair" like three times in her life. And in the past four years, we've had to leave a grocery store once and a restaurant once because she wasn't being good. The point is, she's a wonderful kid.

However, she's not perfect (what child is?) It seems that every year, a couple months before her birthday, she has a bad week or two where she apparently is getting all the bad behavior out of her system. She did it before she turned two (I remember the first time she threw herself on the floor sobbing hysterically because she didn't get her way, I was convinced she was autistic!) And she did it right before she turned three and four. And now we're having a little bump a couple months before she turns five.

So the past week, I've seen a significant upswing in the teariness and whining (when Emma starts the whining, I tell her "sorry, I can't understand you because I don't speak Whinese" - I know, what a comedian!) I guess I should be grateful she doesn't ever throw tantrums - man, I have friends whose kids scream and yell and hit them and do all this stuff I wouldn't put up with for a second! But the incessant whining over the past week, I have to admit, has really gotten on my nerves.

Anyway, last night we had Emma's friend Helen over for a couple of hours (her parents had a neighborhood holiday party to attend.) Unfortunately, from almost the moment Helen was dropped off, Emma decided it was going to be an unpleasant evening for everyone involved. We made some gingerbread cookies and Emma pouted because she thought hers turned out badly. We made reindeer out of construction paper and Emma sulked because I had the nerve to compliment Helen on hers. We decided to play a game and, of course, the girls fought over who got to use a particular game piece. When I told Emma that Helen was our guest and she could choose which one she wanted to play with, well. that was the final straw! Emma ran into her room and flung herself on her bed sobbing. She wisely didn't close the door, so we could hear the full extent of her agony.

I know some parents would disagree, but my strategy when we have one of these rare meltdowns is to pretty much ignore it. I went in the room and told Emma when she got herself under control, she should come back out and play with Helen and me. But like most kids, Emma is stubborn and she stayed in there and sobbed for the better part of 30 minutes. Helen's mom came to pick her up and asked what was going on, I just rolled my eyes...she understood!

So like ten seconds after Helen left, Emma came out of her room and said (like nothing had happened) "Can I have a snack now?" I had to sit her down and explain how VERY disappointed I was in her behavior and how I wouldn't be surprised if Helen doesn't want to come back over for a long time. Which led to more tears. She wanted to know if I hated her (she has been pulling this out everytime I need to reprimand her about anything.) I assured her I didn't hate her, I loved her more than anything in the world, but that doesn't mean I don't always like her behavior.

Blah, blah, blah. I guess we'll see today if she got her little annual emotional growing spurt out of her system. We have another busy weekend, including going to our church's huge holiday spectacular with a big light show, the choir singing Christmas songs, a live nativity and Santa and Mrs. Claus (it kind of takes in everything!) I would prefer not to have to leave this because of my whiny kid. I think I'll just be positive and BELIEVE she's going to shape up!

Anyway, I thought I'd leave you a picture of Emma from earlier in the week when she was happier...it's hard to believe we were sledding at this same park two weeks ago!

6 comments:

Special K said...

Mama said there'd be days like these....

I completely agree with everything you said about how to deal with this. I'm not a mom yet but I will not tolerate a bratty kid! Every kid has their moments for sure... but I totally "get" what you just said. I see myself there. I hope Emma has a better weekend.

C's Mom said...

Zoiks! Thanks for letting us know that Emma is ALWAYS just the adorable, near-perfect she seems to be.

All the best to ya on that one and I hope she's out of her funk soon. I think you handled it fabulously.

What can I say? Big girls do it too and they call it PMS (gasp)!

Anonymous said...

My sister had read a book when one of her girls was about the same age as Emma, and it talked about periods of equilibrious and disequilibrious that all children experience. I think it's a psychology theory. Anyway, the theory is that behavior is cyclical and all children have their own cycle, but most tend to experience behavior shifts at the half-year mark - halfway through the year from their birthday.

I never read the book, but the theory was always intriguing to me and makes perfect sense. I have shared it with parents during teacher conferences many time when they were perplexed by their childrens' behavior.

This, too, shall pass?

Anway, I think your parenting style sounds very wise and compassionate.

elizabeth said...

I agree with the previous comments that you sound like a wonderful parent! Maybe one reason why Emma acts like this so infrequently is because she knows it won't elicit a response from you. It's funny how kids have bad days. It seems so simple being 4, but they have their issues to work out too, I guess. It sounds like you're raising an emotionally mature kid. I hope I will be able to do such a good job when I'm a mother. I think this is my first time commenting here, and I really like your blog, by the way! Emma is so cute =)

Anonymous said...

OH donna, when I was a nanny I used to find that children's behaviour significantly deteriorated at this time of year. Starting around mid November. A friend of mine is a pre-school teacher and she finds the same thing. I think its been a long time since summer vacation, weekdays and weekends are busy and everyone needs a break! Poor Emma, heck poor you too!
I think you have such wisdom in your parenting, I love that you have consequences, expect her to behave and yet also know when she needs some tender hearted attention. Have a good weekend. I was so excited about my adoption news, but are you telling me I have to be ready to deal with tempers and jealousy...whew, is there a magic potion that lets them stay about 18 months old?!
Have a great weekend!!!

Christi and Abbey said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this. It really helps me buckle my mommy seat belt and get ready for a looooooong ride. As you know I admire you and your daughter and consider you someone further down the path that I can listen to and learn from. I loved the way you had fun activities planned for the girls that night - you sound like a teacher.