Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Not so fast...

As I've read the comments some of you have left on my last post, I was concerned that I may have come across as the world's most perfect, know-it-all parent. I was re-reading the post and I really did sound like a self-congratulatory cross between Dr. T. Berry Brazelton and the Supernanny. Trust me when I tell you, every day I wake up and hope to be a fantastic parent and every single day, I fall short (some days, WAY short!)

It seems like at the end of the day, there's always something I beat myself up about. I'm constantly doubting my parenting skills (or lack of said skills.) There's something I said to Emma that day that I now regret or something I should have said. I came down too hard on her about something, or I bought her something she really doesn't need and now I'm spoiling her. Then there are the days where I'm tired and cross and she's whiny and we seem to be at odds all day. Those are the days when you just have tell yourself to start all over again the next day and hope that your kid isn't storing all this stuff in her head for when she writes her "Mommie Dearest" memoir in 35 years.

I swear, every night when I go to bed at night, I pray to God to give me the strength and wisdom to be a better mom the next day.

I guess the point of this rambling post is...no need to pat me on the back and tell me what a great mother I am. I think I'm a better mom than I ever thought I would be. But I know there are people out there doing a better job than me. I'm definitely a work in progress!

3 comments:

C's Mom said...

Donna, each and every one of us is a work in progress! Anyone who thinks they are not are the ones to be concerned about.

You didn't sound like a prig at all...I would've told ya ;0)

Emma has herself a great mama!

Anonymous said...

Donna, you are too hard on yourself. You are a great mom. I have been a foster parent and have been involved in parenting courses, let me tell you, the VERY best parents know they are a work in progress, the one's who say 'I don't need a parenting course/help/new ideas/to think about it differently etc' are the ones who need the most help! lol

I think you do great!

Anonymous said...

Glad to know that I'm not the only one that's a work in progress. I wasn't prepared for how guilty I would feel as a mother. Thoughts like, "Am I letting her play on the floor too much, too little. Is she going to be autistic if she watches that DVD one more time. Did she get enough solid food today. Will she always be constipated, am I somehow causing the constipation? etc, etc. etc." Phew! Glad I could get that off my chest! Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany