Saturday, December 02, 2006

Let's go sledding!

Whenever it snows here, hundreds of kids head to a park charmingly dubbed "Suicide Hill" to go sledding. The park has a frighteningly steep hill that stops just short of a very busy street. Families have been sledding at this park for generations.

So when we got 8 inches of snow Thursday night, my friend Dana and I decided to try to talk our girls into sledding at Suicide Hill. Jia was totally game, but Emma took some convincing. One of the few things that concerns me about Emma is her reluctance to try anything new. She is such a timid child (hopefully this will come in handy down the road when one of her friends pressures her to try cigarettes or drugs.) In the meantime, she often hangs back when it comes to new experiences. But we threw caution to the wind and loaded our sleds in the car and drove over to the park, which was quite the scene.

Much to my surprise, it didn't take much convincing to get Emma on the sled and we were going down the less steep part of the hill in no time!

The girls had an absolute blast and looked so cute on the sled together!

Of course, for the first time,I found out how much work sledding is for PARENTS...I'm the one that had to drag the sled back up the hill time after time - often pulling my 31 pound daughter on it. I'm a little sore this morning, but it was great fun and I'm sure we'll be doing it again soon.

5 comments:

C's Mom said...

Oh wow, you're right - hauling that sled 5 million times can be a killer.

The pics are great though :0)

Eliza2006 said...

Those two really do look quite cute together! Quite the workout for you!

Tiffany

Calico Sky said...

They are adorable. I love Emma's stripy trousers! Where did you get them?
Ohhhh snow.....oh how I miss snow......

Special K said...

That looks like so much fun! There's a great sledding hill a block from my house so I can't wait to walk over with my Mia someday...

Joannah said...

That looks like so much fun! I remember going to the local mountains once when I was a kid. My dad had borrowed somebody's tobaggon (sp?), and we had THE BEST TIME!

p.s. I love Emma's smile and her dimples. :-)