Sunday, May 20, 2007

Our new church

I had belonged to the same church since I moved here ten years ago...I loved the minister and it had a great singles ministry program. I was really happy there. Then two things happened...I adopted Emma and the minister I felt such a connection with left to go teach at seminary.

When I began taking Emma to church, it really hit me that there was zero diversity at my church. There are a lot of wonderful people there, but they are all white, middle-to-upper class folks. Emma was the sum total of diversity at my church, and that bothered me. So between that, and the fact that I really didn't like the new minister at all, I decided in January of this year to start looking for a new church.

It's not easy finding a new church, especially when you're dragging a young child with you every Sunday to a different place. But after a month or so, I was happy to find a nearby Methodist church that clicked. I absolutely love the minister (it's the first church I've attended where the senior minister is a woman - she is just fantastic.) Plus, it is that rare liberal Protestant church that isn't filled every Sunday with just white people. There are several African-American members, a family of Indian origin and, best of all, a significant number of Chinese adults and children.

We have been very happy there and this morning we formally joined the church. I am so pleased that Emma and I now have a church home that we can call our own. It really fills me with peace.

Anyway, on a totally different subject...after church, we met up with several friends at the zoo. It was a brilliant spring day and we had a wonderful time strolling around. Emma spent the majority of her time hanging out with the two 10-year-old girls in our little group...here she is with (big) Emma and Elena...


I swear, sometimes my 5-year-old daughter is conviniced she's a tween already. There were several girls in our group her age, but she adores Elena, and walked around with her and her friend all afternoon. Anyway, here's my gal after a long, but fulfilling day...


Hope your weekend was just as nice!

3 comments:

C's Mom said...

I'm glad you're happy at the new place.

I remember always wanting to hang with the big girls too...hah, now I want to hang with the little ones ;0)

Calico Sky said...

that's wonderful news donna, simply wonderful. I too like my Church but it is small, all white (the one african american family from Texas actually, left) and extremely upper class...I like it, but it is very insular..
I think I need to start looking. So what did you have to do to formally become a member?
Emma looks as sweet as ever!

kitchu said...

She is just beautiful, and that last pose does look SO mature for 5! God it just makes me so excited about having Macey- having her baptized and going to church with me... glad you guys found a place you love!