Friday, January 26, 2007

Months vs. years

Last night after work/school, Emma and I went to Target to get a birthday present for a friend of hers and then went out for dinner (hey, it's been a long week.) So Emma and a little girl were hanging out in the play area and I started chatting with her mom. I asked how old her little girl was and she said "39 months."

Excuse me...I was unaware I was going to have to do math when I got into this conversation. So now I have to get out my rusty mental calculator and think "okay, 39 divided by 12"...oh, so she's THREE.

It is my personal opinion (and therefore should be the law) that you have to stop reciting your child's age in months at 23...as in 23 months. I'm sorry, after that you just have to say "two." If you like, you can be more specific, such as "she just turned two" or "he's two-and-a-half" or "she'll be three in March."

Which brings up the question...when do you stop saying "and-a-half?" I frequently told people Emma was two-and-a-half and three-and-a-half. But I can't remember ever telling someone she was four-and-a-half. Maybe four should be the cutoff for that, since I have taken it upon myself to lay down these rules. I certainly know I would roll my eyes if someone told me their child was six-and-a-half.

Of course, the really sad part is, I spend more time thinking about these matters than I do on issues like whether the troop surge will make any difference in Iraq.

Such is my life these days...sigh!

4 comments:

Joannah said...

I know it's trivial, but I don't like that either. I think after the age of two, it's unnecessary to continue referencing the number of months. I'm a firm believer in KISS - Keep It Simple, Sweetie!

Nichole Foster said...

Ok I have said Mia is 2 or three since we got her home. I still catching myself saying she turned 3 in November but I cannot IMAGINE actually saying she is 42 months old. But then again. It has always bugged me when people say they are 26 weeks along, come on just say you are 6 and a half months long. But alas that is just my opinion...lol.

I thinkt aht when the kiddos are younger different milestones ar emet at different ages so 3 is SOOO much different than 3.5 is temrs of maturity and everything else. So I think that when the age is not so pronounced is when the "half' thing stops...

JMHO
Nichole

Calico Sky said...

totally agree with you and J about the 23 being the last month.

Re 1/2 I think it's funny b/c a six year old will tell you 'Oh I am 6 1/2' very soon after they turn 6, they want to be older!!!

I think around 4 5 or 6 there starts to be less 1/2's or us adults, but as my friends son said to me 'Kate, I am not 10 you know, I am 10 AND A HALF, no way am I a baby 10 yr old'
chuckle chuckle

Christi and Abbey said...

Oh, I laughed outloud and hoped Abbey didn't hear me. You are too funny about the having to do math. I agree with you completely.
Your daughter is a stunning princess, but you already knew that. I am just confirming.