Friday, January 05, 2007

Switched at adoption?

Not only do Emma and I look nothing alike...we are very different individuals.

I was always a bit of a tomboy. I played on the basketball, tennis and badminton teams while in school, and still enjoy playing in a volleyball league today. Emma has no interest in anything remotely athletic. She is at the age now where many of her little friends are signing up for soccer and t-ball, but she has absolutely zero enthusiasm for the idea. I have signed her up for gymnastics lessons beginning next week, but that is about as athletic as she'll get, and I'm not even sure how that will go.

Emma's interests center totally around being a girly-girl. She loves prancing around in princess dresses, wearing tiaras and sparkly shoes. She adores putting on makeup. I'm one of those women who puts on just enough makeup so I don't scare people when I'm out in public. Emma could sit in front of her grandma's light-up makeup mirror for hours, applying eye shadow, blush and lipstick. Sure, sometimes she puts the eye shadow on her cheeks and the blush on her eyelids, but she knows more about makeup than I do.

The point I'm making is...there could not be two more different people than the two of us. So here's my theory...

When Emma's dossier was in the matching room, so was Elizabeth Taylor's (for the sake of argument, let's forget the fact that Liz is about 30 years past the CCAA age limit for parents.) So Liz's file and my file are right next to each others in a pile. And a brand new worker in the matching room is working on the dossiers. But he's a little confused and distracted because it's his first day and he accidently staples the baby meant for Liz onto my dossier, and she was matched with Emma.

So while I have this girly-girl, Elizabeth Taylor is sitting in her mansion in Beverly Hills with all her tiaras and jewels and perfume and makeup - and she has a little girl who asked for a lacrosse stick for Christmas.

In all seriousness, Emma and I might have widely varying interests at this point. But she has always been, and always will be, the perfect child for me...I guess the CCAA knew what they were doing!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and Emma quite simply are the 'perfect fit'.
The Elizabeth Taylor theory is great! lol

Anonymous said...

That is just tooo cute. And I love the picture at the end.

C's Mom said...

Funny...the picture suits the story!

Emma is one very cute girly-girl..tiaras and all :0)

Anonymous said...

She is such a girly-girl. How many princess dresses has she?

Special K said...

This is funny... reminds me of my friend who painted her baby's room in primary colors and even dressed her in boy clothes sometimes cuz mommma hated all the frou-frou stuff. Guess what... it backfired. Instead of the tomboy tough girl she wanted she got the girly girl princess who wants to wear tights everyday! LOL!

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

That picture is too cute. She looks like a princess.

Heather said...

You know what's funny? My best friend was a great basketball player in college and subtly anti- pink/purple/princess things, her daughter is from the same SWI as Emma and acts the same way--it's all we can do to get her out of those darn princess dresses! Maybe it was the formula? :) The jury is still out on my daughter, we'll see...

Hugs to you and Emma,
Heather and Libby