Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Okay...what happened here?


No, despite the fact that our entire metropolitan area is a skating rink, Emma did not fall down on the ice. We finally got out of the house yesterday and we went to our favorite Mexican restaurant after running some errands. While we were sitting in our little booth, a waiter dropped a glass on the floor and, as she leaned out to see what had happened, Emma fell right out of booth and onto the hard floor.

I guess I should have known something serious had happened when she didn't cry. Normally, Emma breaks into hysterical tears for like 90 seconds every time she has any kind of little mishap. But after this, she just sat on my lap with this pale, pinched look on her face. She said she was fine, but when we got home, and I got her pjs on, she started crying and crying, saying her arm hurt. These are the moments when the parenting books really don't help much. I just sat there with her in my lap, wondering if I should just give her some Tylenol and put her in bed, or if we needed to get to a doctor. I knew she didn't have a fracture or anything because she could bend her arm and wiggle her fingers. But when she didn't stop crying, I bundled her up and headed out to the closest emergency room.

What a madhouse...there were like 40 people waiting to be seen, the majority of whom had wiped out on the ice and broken arms, legs, tailbones or heads. Shockingly, they got to us fairly quickly (like after 30 minutes.) They examined her, x-rayed her arm and said she had a small crack in one of her elbow bones. Not enough to put on a cast at this point, but she needs to keep her arm in a sling for a week or so. If it still really bothers her after a few days, we may need a cast.

When we got home, I dosed her with Tylenol, put her into my bed and then crawled in with her. She fell right asleep and I watched the rest of the Golden Globes. Emma whimpered all night in her sleep, especially when she rolled over on her arm. Her school was cancelled today so we're home, trying to recuperate from our little freak accident.

Ah...the adventures of parenting! It's certainly never boring!

10 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

Poor kid! Hopefully she doesn't need a cast. Her cute little face says it all!

Tiffany

C's Mom said...

Poor Emma!

I'm with Tiffany - she knows how to work it with that little face ;0)

Hope she's good as new soon.

Nichole Foster said...

POOR EMMA!! I am NOT looking forward to our first trip to the ER. Mia hates ALL dr's so the ER would be no different.

hope she feels better soon.

Nichole

Joannah said...

Poor baby, Emma! What a bummer!

Mommy, you did all the right things! Good thinking!

Special K said...

OMG! I swear it's like I know you guys now. I have this strange emotional investment with all of these people who are basically strangers to me. As soon as I pulled up your blog and saw that pic I gasped, got worried and quickly read to see what had happened to Emma and if she was okay. Glad she is. Poor baby!

My sis had her daughter after having 2 sons. These boys catapult themsleves off of furniture without a scratch. It took her sweet little girl to send her to the ER at 18 mths old with a fracture from falling down. The poor thing was casted from thumb to elbow for over a month.

Calico Sky said...

Oh poor Emma, as you described her 'wimpering' I started crying! It is amazing how when children are actually hurt often they don't cry, apparently it is the 'fight or flight' response.
I hope Emma is feeling better and back to her old self soon, and get's lots of sympathy when she gets back to school.
Poor Emma!!!

elizabeth said...

Oh, poor Emma! Her expression is so sad in that picture and it tugged at my heartstrings to read that she was wimpering in her sleep =( It sounds like you are taking great care of her, though, so she should be back to normal soon.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear Emma has a bad elbow. I have been reading your blog for awhile and just wanted to introduce myself so I am no longer a lurker.

Joan from St Paul, adopted Elizabeth 3/03 DTC 12/15/05 for baby sister.

Caroline said...

I hope Emma is doing better. That just stinks that she hurt her elbow!

Catherine said...

Poor sweetie. Hope she's beginning to feel better.