Tuesday, August 15, 2006

My daughter, the feminist

Interesting conversation with Emma this morning on the way to school...

Emma: Mama, why do Biggie and Papa (grandma and grandpa) not work?

Me: Because when people get older and after they've worked a long time, they don't have to work anymore.

Emma: Will you get to stop working when you're older?

Me: Yes (when I'm about 80, according to my financial planner - I didn't say that part to her)

Me: What kind of job would you like to do when you grow up?

Emma: I'm not going to get a job...I'm going to get married.

Me: (trying to remain calm) Well, most grown-up ladies get married and go to work too.

Emma: Not me. I'm going to be one of those mommies who stays at home all the time.

What a relief...I guess I can stop saving up for Stanford now!

4 comments:

C's Mom said...

Start slipping in a Gloria Steinam books on her bookshelf in the coming years.

I'm all for the SAHMs value. But, SAHM better know how to be working mom busting her behind if she needs to be ;0)

Too funny!

Donna said...

Hey, I have the greatest respect for SAHMs...believe me. I just think my four-year-old should keep her options open at this point!

Christi and Abbey said...

Your daughter is beautiful. I think it's so sweet that she wants to be a stay at home mom.

Anonymous said...

LOL - I love it. Actually I think that was my plan when I was her age too... but then of course plans change when reality sets in.